Trim Paint for '86 GT

Willybill32

But at least it's tight!
Jul 16, 2019
Lexington, KY
I've got an '86 GT that I bought new. Hopefully it's going to the painter soon. I want to do the stock silver color with the charcoal trim. In searching the forum, it seems everyone is using SEM Trim Black #39143, but I don't want black. Does anyone know the correct color for the original charcoal trim?

• Sponsors (?)

SEM makes a charcoal trim paint color that is very close to the factory charcoal. The number for it is 39153. You should be able to get it in spray cans if you want to go that route.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, they market is as a "bumper" paint as I believe it has the additive which allows it to flex. This is what you will want to use to paint your exterior trim. I would order one can first and do some test sprays to make sure it is the color that you are looking for. I used it on the mirrors and a cowl vent cover for my 85 GT, and it is indeed very close to the original paint used for the exterior trim.

An alternative is to go to a automotive paint supply store and have them mix you a batch of paint that they can hopefully match, but then you will have to either have someone spray it for you, or if you have paint sprayers, you can do it yourself.

If you put the “@“ symbol before their user, it will give him a notification and might get him back quicker. Like this @sparkylawdog
@Rdub6, thanks! This old dog always to learn a new trick! :)
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, they market is as a "bumper" paint as I believe it has the additive which allows it to flex. This is what you will want to use to paint your exterior trim. I would order one can first and do some test sprays to make sure it is the color that you are looking for. I used it on the mirrors and a cowl vent cover for my 85 GT, and it is indeed very close to the original paint used for the exterior trim.

An alternative is to go to a automotive paint supply store and have them mix you a batch of paint that they can hopefully match, but then you will have to either have someone spray it for you, or if you have paint sprayers, you can do it yourself.
@sparkylawdog, thanks! I figured if it was bumper paint it would have some kind of flex additive in it. I'll get a can for test purposes. Today I finally realized the only non-faded original trim paint on my '86 GT is the window frame on the doors, not exposed to 34 years of sunlight.

Reactions: 1 user