Fox Trunk Lid for 1989 Convertible

A newbie question here. I bought a 1989 Fox convertible which needs restoration. It has a trunk lid with rails on it (the "Continental" look?) :shrug: Anyway I would like to find a smooth trunk lid with no holes in it and maybe feature a conservative wing or spoiler. What are my options here? Thanks

Randy

• Sponsors (?)

Get a coupe trunk lid. They even sell aftermarket ones. Then just drill the holes needed for the mount. That's what I did.
20211223_131720.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I've done a couple of fiberglass hatches because of rust issues. Has anyone done a fiberglass trunk lid? Seems like it would be easier than a hatch and eliminate the common rust problem.

I had a factory fiberglass trunk lid on my 89 gt convertible. If going fiberglass make sure it's a bolt on style not pin on ( race car ) style.

I had a factory fiberglass trunk lid on my 89 gt convertible. If going fiberglass make sure it's a bolt on style not pin on ( race car ) style.

Just to be clear - there was no "factory" option for a fiberglass trunk lid, correct? Admittedly I'm a hatch guy so I don't pay as much attention to that as vert/notch people, but I don't understand why there would be different options on these.

Do you mean the option between the vert, most (if not all) had the luggage rack, and the coupe trunk (or boot for the 'across the pond members') lid?
I'm not sure if this is directed to me or 90sickfox.

My understanding is that the only decklid that came from Ford was steel - but I'm not a notch/vert owner so perhaps there is something I am not aware of? I assume that a luggage rack was just bolted onto the steel decklid, and the same with the special edition spoiler cars.

I tried a fiberglass lid because the original was rusted out and the steel part was more expensive. I got what I paid for. Fit lousy and trying to get the latching hardware to work was impossible. Wasted my dough.

Get a steel lid. Or, remove your rack and weld the holes closed. My 2 cents.