trunk mount batteries... I know search but still and lalalala

Boss 351

Here sthhhhhhhheeeve take a picthh of my man flowe
Jul 13, 2003
Canada
:nice:

I'm going to put the battery in the trunk tonight or thursday but I don't want to run a ground all the way to the engine bay. I just want to ground it to the body in the rear and put a good ground from the body to the engine. Will that cause problems out of my yinyang? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

It might not cause immediate problems, but more than likely, you will want to take the ground all the way up. a buddy of mine grounded his to the frame, then from that spot all teh way to the front... im sure jricker will put that badass schematic in a few, i just dont have it saved.

I've always run the ground to the front in the past but the added weight of the wire pisses me off... I need the room in the engine bay that's why I want to move the battery

Before I undid mine, the previous owner just had it grounded to the sheet metal of the trunk. I dunno if this is the best method but the whole thing worked pretty well.

Reason I undid it was that it wasn't track legal and I didn't feel like putting up with the hassle of installing the correct stuff. Especially on a nearly stock car.

First of all finding a ground wire that will reach from the rear to the front will be just about impossible, and they say never have a ground wire more then about 3 feet, It probably wont start if you have that long of a ground wire. Jrichker has a great right up about where to put all the connections. All I did was run the positive from the battery to the selinoid, no problem, then for the ground I found a hole in the trunk and put it on a bolt on the chasis, ive never had any charging problems yet. Oh yea and if your track is strick might wanna make sure it will pass tech with a cut off switch, my car wouldnt pass tech for anything.

The strip isn't strick around here... I do plan on a kill switch but just on the battery post. I'll run the ground thru the floor and onto the rear frame and connect the engine to the front frame which is connected to the rear via connecting frames (or very soon anyway).

Heres where I put mine, others say to put it on the quadshock bolt. I also put my engine ground to where the fog light bracket goes.

0000718qt5.jpg

Attachments

• 0000718qt5.jpg
    0000718qt5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 34
mob said:
First of all finding a ground wire that will reach from the rear to the front will be just about impossible

You can get them at a welding supply store. you just get a different gauge for the positive, and you can get spools of the stuff. if i read JRickers stuff right, you ground it to the frame so it has an immediate ground, then from there to the front so they share a common ground.

FarBeyondDriven said:
You can get them at a welding supply store. you just get a different gauge for the positive, and you can get spools of the stuff. if i read JRickers stuff right, you ground it to the frame so it has an immediate ground, then from there to the front so they share a common ground.
Yea, thats what I did.