Trunk Mounted Battery, Anyone?

cleveland

Founding Member
Feb 19, 2002
SF>...
Has anyone actually move the battery to the trunk yet? I am curious as to how the cables were wired/secured under the hood.

I was also wondering if anybody knew of any junction blocks that could work to tie the extention cables in with the stockers to keep a clean look behind that wheel well.

-Dan

• Sponsors (?)

why would you move it to the trunk when ford has already done the work and but the battery behind the front axel?
The purpose of moving it to the trunk on older mustangs was for better weight distribution, ford factory solved the problem and the car is very well balanced

First off, there is no axle in the front and WOW, Ford took a lot of time and effort to install the battery there behind the wheel. :rolleyes:

The weight is still in the front end.

Second, why ask that question if I am asking for info? Im not interested in your opinion and if you dont think that it may be of some benefit to my driving, you are just ignorant.

Thanks for repsonse.... :stupid:

-Dan

I too am interested in relocating the battery to the trunk. Not so much for the Weight CG shift, but to clear up room for an accusump oil accumulator to keep the engine fully oiled under high g conditions. I've checked the places I know to look, and it doesn't seem like anyone has a kit to relocate it.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember someone saying either the Thunderbird or LS has a trunk mounted battery? Although the Stang is only lightly based on their platform, perhaps something can be made to work with Ford parts?

shelbyfan350 said:
I could be wrong, but I think I remember someone saying either the Thunderbird or LS has a trunk mounted battery? Although the Stang is only lightly based on their platform, perhaps something can be made to work with Ford parts?
Well, the only issue to move the battery to the trunk is the underhood wiring. I havent had any luck locating something that will connect the heavy gauge alternator and starter cables to the ones from the trunk.

-Dan

I want to do the same thing, do you think a distabution block that you would use for an audio sytem would work. Ive been to sound compitions before and have seen several thousand watt amps being powered this way from deep cycle batteries ran tandum check out street wires or monster cable

My hesitation in doing this is installing a shut off switch discreetly on the rear of the car. The rearend is so opened up, it's just difficult to somewhat hide it. I'm thinking about putting it by the bumper.

169stang said:
My hesitation in doing this is installing a shut off switch discreetly on the rear of the car. The rearend is so opened up, it's just difficult to somewhat hide it. I'm thinking about putting it by the bumper.
how about behind the plate? if you remove the license plate for the race, it should be legal, right? then no one knows it is there, unless they see it at the races.....

I already have too much crap to do to go to the track. I don't want to have to remove the tag as well. The switch has to be completely visible. I'm contemplating a push/pull pin or switch located by the plate. Then I could remove the pin for daily driving. I just don't want my wife to call me when she's driving the car, calling me with, "the car won't start." It's a given that some idiot would screw around with it in a parking lot.

cleveland said:
First off, there is no axle in the front and WOW, Ford took a lot of time and effort to install the battery there behind the wheel. :rolleyes:

The weight is still in the front end.

Second, why ask that question if I am asking for info? Im not interested in your opinion and if you dont think that it may be of some benefit to my driving, you are just ignorant.

Thanks for repsonse.... :stupid:

-Dan

Let's keep responses like this out of discussions. You are not guaranteed to always get the response you desire. If you can not handle the content/tone of possible repsonses then refrain from posting

Im sorry but I get irritated when I get a question in that matter for a question instead of an answer.

Back to topic though...

Im not sure that those audio system blocks will suffice for the starting circuit considering its a high amp line. If somebody can confirm it to work Im sure one of us would be willing to get ti work.

Thanks for the helpful responses folks.

-Dan

One thing that comes to mind.... The 05 Mustang is built off the Lincoln LS platform, and the LS uses a trunk mount battery. It might be worth looking into, to see if the tray/hardware and cable harness may make the install easier/cleaner.