Trying to find some recommendations for replacement radiators

joshjwc9

Jun 12, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Looking at taking my car for some open track events and I'm becoming a little concerned about my cooling system failing while on the track. I have no issues currently with the OEM radiator leaking, but haven't had a coolant flush in forever, although it has been drained several times (cracked intake, blower install, timing set installed) but I know there is plenty of rust buildup plus whatever crap the shops did to try to fix the intake manifold before it cracked two weeks after I got the car (7 years ago). Thinking about a OEM replacement from LRS or even the SVE all aluminum with a good flush to get the crap out of the cooling system before the new setup goes in. I also have a non intercooled Vortech and am worried about space specifically right at where the head unit meets the intake pipe.

Any reviews or stay away warnings? Brands like Fluidyne, SVE (will stay away from Mishimoto etc.)

• Sponsors (?)

You have a perfectly good radiator sitting in your car right now. Why not keep it? Most aftermarket radiators will have less material, less fins per inch, ect which all results in less cooling. Unless you buy one specifically designed for racing, such as a heavy duty 3 row unit, you'll probably be taking a step back. Furthermore, every radiator which has failed on me has been a slow leak. They don't typically just pop, they will seep slowly over time, loosing coolant, leaving drips, ect. You'll know it, and you obviously won't take it out on the track like that.

What I do recommend, is a good flush of the coolant system. Get the gunk out for better heat transfer. You can run water from a garden hose through the system until the water coming out is clear. There may be some solvents you could try, but beware as they could cause more damage than good.

Also, be sure to inspect/replace hoses. Hoses tend to dry out, crack, rot, ect over time. I am willing to bet most of the cooling system failures you see on track are related to hoses popping off or developing a major leak. Don't forget about heater hoses too. Have the hoses ever been replaced? You have a 1999, and at 14 years old, I bet they should be!

I also noticed you have a vortech, and no intercooler. Be careful with your motor on the track. Open track events put some serious load on the engine, for long periods of time, and the tune may not be setup for that. It may be a safe tune for 10-15 seconds at a time, but under load for 20 minutes? That is a completely different ball game because you can develop hotspots in the heads, and the temperature or everything goes way up. Personally, I wouldn't try it unless I had the non-intercooled boost level (~6psi) with an intercooler.

Reactions: 1 user
Very good information about the radiators. I know the OEM pieces are quite reliable and durable in many applications.

My hoses were replaced when I had the timing set installed by my mechanic. I need to check if I ever bought heater hoses for it though... :)

I haven't had one issue with the tune since it was installed 2 years ago, and the open track event is more of a HPDE than a true track day. I'll have an instructor with me plus classroom time. Also, I have a wideband installed and the tune pulls timing as IAT's rise. My car has the stock pulley on it, plus my tuner said it was pretty conservative and my SVT focus fuel pump is the weak point in my setup. My filter is right behind the inner fog hole gap in my Cobra bumper too.

I'm planning on a date in late April or early May and hoping to run through new brake fluid and coolant in the least. Tires are all less than 5k miles and will bring backup rotors/pads and fluid with me to the track on top of tools and refreshments (water and gatorade only!)

Tires are all less than 5k miles and will bring backup rotors/pads and fluid with me to the track on top of tools and refreshments (water and gatorade only!)

Don't forget the Doritos!

image.jpg

MikeH686 toolow91

Reactions: 1 user