Trying To Tell Rather Oil Is In This Coolant, Questions

from6to8

There's suction so I used that end O_O
15 Year Member
Sep 2, 2012
drained the radiator about halfway to get it low enough to take the upper radiator hose off when first started taking things apart. Today I took the lower hose off to get to another part of the injector harness wiring that was preventing me from pulling the harness out of the way for easier install of the lower intake. Looking in the bucket, it appeared a film to be on top but hard for me to tell if its oil. I need to flush the system but upon putting car together I don't think i will be able to flush it at same time and set timing and all of that. I will post pics below and get you guys opinion on rather to use this coolant temporarily until I get the car back together , timing set, take for a drive, ect. I would hate to put in new coolant and then have to put in new coolant again when I flush it soon so what is your take on what I should do? I also just changed the oil a few wks ago and should that be changed again also?

Also, the upper intake that had coolant/oil mixed in that one runner, number 2 runner, I need to clean the upper. Not sure if my plenum gaskets will be in tommorow or not and i'm thinking it will have a gasket for the plate on the bottom of the plenum as well. I would be able to take off that plate and allow water to drain after I flush it out real good after spraying on degreaser. If that plate wasnt taken off, do you think i would be able to get all of the water out just through the bottom ports, as well as blowing it out good thru maybe the tb with an air line? Also noticed some good up in the hole on bottm of plenum as well, the circular hole. So thoughts on best way to clean it?
20131220_173815[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20131220_170605[2].jpg
    20131220_170605[2].jpg
    410 KB · Views: 164
  • 20131220_173837[1].jpg
    20131220_173837[1].jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Sponsors (?)

also the specs for the performer 2 calls for 15-18 ft lbs but my chilton for the stock setup calls for 23-25. I know the steel head are able to take much more torque but some guys on different forums after googling said they have went 22-24 with their aluminum intake and heads.

so.........................................................???????????????????????????????????

15-18 is plenty. Any more and you risk cracking the aluminum

What he said. Also... I see no oil in that coolant. Pour it into a clear container. If oil, then it will separate and float to the top.

I use blue loktite on my intake with exception of the bolts that intersect with the water journal. I use thread seal for those.

What he said. Also... I see no oil in that coolant. Pour it into a clear container. If oil, then it will separate and float to the top.

I use blue loktite on my intake with exception of the bolts that intersect with the water journal. I use thread seal for those.
i had it in a red bucket at first then i was thinking pouring it in the clear bowl thing in the pic would allow the oil to separate if there was any. Would it not separate in the bowl thing?

yeah i will stay at 18 and check for leaks then retorque probably at 18 depending on if any leaks or not
is there a need to run a thermostat during the process of running the car, setting timing, idle, ect and even taking on a 30 minute drive? I'm going to flush the system within a day or 2 if not the same day

and is water in the lifter valley during operation of the car? that would let me know if some water possibly mixed with oil because there was some droplets in the valley when i took intake off. And the lifter valley is under the lower right?

Last edited:
If you're just flushing, then you can do that without a tstat.

Everything else... well... I tend to do those things after the car is at operating temperature.

There should be no water in the lifter valley. Sometimes moisture, but not water.

If you're just flushing, then you can do that without a tstat.

Everything else... well... I tend to do those things after the car is at operating temperature.

There should be no water in the lifter valley. Sometimes moisture, but not water.
im gona just take a quick oil sample to see if there is water in the oil. The coolant looks fine, there is no oil in it as I thought there might have been.

Occasionally. I have had oil residue from a funnel contaminate the coolant.
yeah thats why i always rinse out the long funnel I use very very good after spraying down good with degreaser. I will just buy another long one just for coolant though. When you have done that, did you change the coolant because of it being contaminated?

I took out the dizzy before changing my intake gaskets and didnt turn or move the crank at all so I should be fine just dropping the dizzy back in and it should fire up right/be set where it was? I actually just dropped it in before quitting for the night and it actually pointed at the 1 o'clock position, the number 4 plug though. I'm thinking it might not be at TDC but in relation to where it was it should be fine

yeah thats why i always rinse out the long funnel I use very very good after spraying down good with degreaser. I will just buy another long one just for coolant though. When you have done that, did you change the coolant because of it being contaminated?
No. I opened the cap and ran the engine until tge thermostat opened. I let about a half a quart boil out and replaced it with distilled water. This seemed to take care of the film.