Tune up need?

I plan on doing my own tune up (First time) and want to know what will i need to do.
1. spark plugs
2. spark plug wires
3. fuel filter

Is this all i need to change? I read i should get 9mm wires and NGK's spark plug "copper" on a scale from 1- 10, 10 being hardest how hard is the tune up. BTW i have a 96 gt stock. only have a CAI. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i would also change the oil,new motorcraft oil filter, clean the air flilter(if dirty) and the plugs can be kinda tricky just make sure you have a sparkplug socket with the rubber thing in it soo you can pull out the plug easyer:D

Most companies now a days claim the plugs are pregapped, but you're asking for trouble if you just throw them in without even checking the gap first.

Depending on the mileage of the car, some other things to think about are: PCV valve, rear differential fluid, coolant flush, etc. Bullitt Archive has a lot of good articles on how to do most of these things.

Wires aren't hard, just do one at a time so you don't lose track of the routing. Spark plugs are easy, just don't overtighten the living crap out of them when you put them back in, and recheck the torque after a couple drive cycles to be sure they are tight. Use rubber hose or your fingers to get them started so you don't cross-thread them. Use a tiny bit of anti-seize compound on the threads first, and put some spark plug grease (or di-electric grease) on the top of the plug and inside the boot before you put it together.

Fuel filter is easy as well, just don't start the car for a few hours before you change it, or at least relieve the fuel pressure by yanking the fuel pump fuse then running the car til it dies first so you don't get an eye full of gasoline when you remove the lines.

You may aswell stick with the replacement OEM plugs and wires, they will be no gain to going with anything else on a stock engine.
Also don't forget to use anti-seize on the plugs and torque them to spec., check over your tires, brakes, brakelines and rad/heater hoses and replace if they look like they need to be and clean the MAF sensor while your changing the airfilter.

CanadaStang said:
You may aswell stick with the replacement OEM plugs and wires, they will be no gain to going with anything else on a stock engine.
Also don't forget to use anti-seize on the plugs and torque them to spec., check over your tires, brakes, brakelines and rad/heater hoses and replace if they look like they need to be and clean the MAF sensor while your changing the airfilter.
Torque to specs? Do i really need a torque wrench or can i just use a regular socket wrench? Whats the specs on the gap for a 96 gt stock?

jcint said:
Torque to specs? Do i really need a torque wrench or can i just use a regular socket wrench? Whats the specs on the gap for a 96 gt stock?
Due to some issues with sparkplugs being over tightened and stripping the threads on the 4.6 heads, or working themselves loose, it's a good idea to use a torque wrench, 7-15 ft.lbs. Gap is .054

Nah, I replaced my spark plugs and his is five years older. I only say that to people who sound like they do not have the basic skills needed to change plugs without problems.

The reason I was asking is because mileage is needed to determine maint schedule items for the 96. It could very well have a lot of miles or very low miles, makes a big diff in what a tune up would include.

Also, if he has an auto that is a whole other set of maint items.

Kilgore Trout said:
Nah, I replaced my spark plugs and his is five years older. I only say that to people who sound like they do not have the basic skills needed to change plugs without problems.

The reason I was asking is because mileage is needed to determine maint schedule items for the 96. It could very well have a lot of miles or very low miles, makes a big diff in what a tune up would include.

Also, if he has an auto that is a whole other set of maint items.
Aww rats, I try to be a smart a**, and look what happens :(

jcint said:

Unless you have a calibrated elbow like us aircraft maintainers, you should get a torque wrench. :)

Inspect suspension components, replace fuel filter, replace plugs/wires, replace air filter, bleed brakes, change diff fluid, chnage trans fluid, SeaFoam all three ways, claybar, wax, 303 Aerospace on all plastic/rubber/vinyl.

^^ I agree, the shocks and struts are shot, when you equip new ones you will be amazed at how much better the car feels...

Another thing I just thought of is to install a Gator belt and check the idler pulies while you are installing it.