Tuneup Time For 1998 GT Convertible

98GTBlkConv

May 26, 2004
Hello all! I am preparing to do a tunuep on my 1998 GT convertible, and have a few questions. I should start off by saying the car is basically stock, except for FM exhaust, K&N CAI, and a Triax shifter. While the car only has 30K miles on it, it is 6 years old now. What should I consider changing as far as routine maintenance goes? I have considered new plugs and wires, and was considering one of thos MSD ignition booster systems. Do they really increase performance? Does the car have a cap and rotor, and if so, should I change it based on the age of of the car? Also, which aftermarket plugs and wires are suggested? Do they really increase the performance enough to be noticable? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

98GTBlkConv said:
Hello all! I am preparing to do a tunuep on my 1998 GT convertible, and have a few questions. I should start off by saying the car is basically stock, except for FM exhaust, K&N CAI, and a Triax shifter. While the car only has 30K miles on it, it is 6 years old now. What should I consider changing as far as routine maintenance goes? I have considered new plugs and wires, and was considering one of thos MSD ignition booster systems. Do they really increase performance? Does the car have a cap and rotor, and if so, should I change it based on the age of of the car? Also, which aftermarket plugs and wires are suggested? Do they really increase the performance enough to be noticable? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :nice:
Lot's of stuff to do.....

1)oil
2)oil filter
3)fuel filter
4)plugs
5)clean your air filter
6)check all fluid levels
7)check all fluids for cleanliness

There's alot more, fella's help me out

on top of the above post, definately change your coolant. I change mine every spring. I generally put under 3000 miles on the car a year, but it just sits in the radiator and turns brown. Where your car has such low milage it may be a good idea to change your rear differential fluid. I think the OEM maintanence manual says every 30,000. i didn't do mine until 50K, and it looked aweful. Any other ?'s just ask.
-John

Replacing the PCV valve in my opinion isn't really needed unless its giving problems. Take the valve out and shake it, if it rattles its fine, spray some carb/brake cleaner in there to clean any crud out.

1. Plugs NGK TR55's (or autolites, dont know number)
2. New wires - found on ebay or sn Partshopper
3. Change oil and filter
4. Check all fluids and top off as needed
5. Maybe get a can or two of engine degreaser and use them on the engine
6. Change rear end fluid - definetly recommend it. Mine was BLACK and nasty, my posi slips pretty bad now. One wheelin is fun! NOT
7. Change tranny fluid, I've had best luck with Maxlife ATF and lucas oil stabilizer. its about 3 1/2 qts tot.
8. Check air pressure in tires, i run 36frt, 32rear
9. if you want to, get a can of Seafoam top engine cleaner, and start your car with your intake off and pour it into the throttle body untill the engine stalls. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and start it up again, its going to POUR smoke. Then finish adding the rest of the can and then reconnect intake and go drive around. Made idle much better
10. Speaking of idle, you can take your IAC valve off and clean it out. 2 8mm bolts
11. Since you have a K&N consider cleaning out your MAF, shoot some electronics cleaner on it or brake cleaner, whichever.

Andy