Turbo/blower Guys....what Rings Do You Use?

• Sponsors (?)

As long as you use epoxy to do it
I use epoxy everywhere no doubt. I used it to glue that plate that widens the deck...( it never sees pressure, from water, oil, or combustion). It's only purpose is to hold on a plate, that widens the deck.
And I use it to seal threads,....permanently.
It's JB weld,..it's great for a lot of stuff, but I don't use it everywhere.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/dyno-tested-thin-piston-rings-worth-horsepower/

Over the past weekend, I watched some of those Engine Master vids. They a 5/64 vs. 1.5 ring comparisons. The same exact piston in a SBC with different ring packages. The torque required to rotate the shortblock was vastly different. 37ft vs 14ft for the 1.5 mm rings. That's a huge difference. But the dyno don't lie. I think it was worth 7hp and 4 ft lbs. On a 3.7 bore the difference would be much less. On a 4.5 bore, much more.

I think it is not enough of a difference to justify spending money to get custom pistons. If your pistons aren't hurt, then new rings, gapped appropriately. When I slap that junkyard 351 in I think I am running the cast pistons, but may spring for the Total Seal gapless rings. If I put that BD11 on it, it won't make more than 6psi, so that should work for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
But the dyno don't lie. I think it was worth 7hp and 4 ft lbs. On a 3.7 bore the difference would be much less. On a 4.5 bore, much more..

4.5" bore....you are talking big big block territory. 500+ cid stuff. Not exactly relevant.

BTW, the rings in my blower car are 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 for what it is worth. Gap-less second ring.

Last edited:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/dyno-tested-thin-piston-rings-worth-horsepower/

Over the past weekend, I watched some of those Engine Master vids. They a 5/64 vs. 1.5 ring comparisons. The same exact piston in a SBC with different ring packages. The torque required to rotate the shortblock was vastly different. 37ft vs 14ft for the 1.5 mm rings. That's a huge difference. But the dyno don't lie. I think it was worth 7hp and 4 ft lbs. On a 3.7 bore the difference would be much less. On a 4.5 bore, much more.

I think it is not enough of a difference to justify spending money to get custom pistons. If your pistons aren't hurt, then new rings, gapped appropriately. When I slap that junkyard 351 in I think I am running the cast pistons, but may spring for the Total Seal gapless rings. If I put that BD11 on it, it won't make more than 6psi, so that should work for me.

I have custom pistons.

I have custom pistons.

I know...I meant I wouldn't go order another set just to change the ring package. It's just not worth it.

4.5" bore....you are talking big big block territory. 500+ cid stuff. Not exactly relevant.

BTW, the rings in my blower car are 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 for what it is worth. Gap-less second ring.

My failed point was that moving to low tension or smaller ring package helps the larger the bore is. At 3.7 I be the difference is within the measuring tolerance of a dyno.

Reactions: 1 users