Turbo setups

• Sponsors (?)

Anyone have any advice on the turbo setups that you can get for around $1000 on ebay?

Got a link?

I'm skeptical that you will get much of a "setup" for $1000, the list of items you need for a complete install on a Mustang is quite long... the tubular K-member kit you need is going to cost you close to $1000 by itself. My advice: buy a kit spefically designed for your Stang, used or new.

Can you recommend anyone who specializes in turbos for the stang?

This is the one I want to put on my car, keep in mind how much is included in the kit, I don't think it's that bad of a deal, not really any more than a Kenne Belle kit if you take into account the K-member that is included. Might be able to find a used kit with enough searching. :shrug: I think you're looking at $5000 for any good (new parts) forced induction solutions.

99-04 Mustang GT Single Turbo System - 350 to 850 HP

They have kits for 96-98 as well.

There's a lot of things you have to keep in mind when going FI:

1) You can be Cheap, Fast or Reliable. Pick two.
2) Set a goal off the bat and then research what you will need to reach your goals.

That could not have stated that any better.
I spent about an hour looking up turbo setups on ebay. You be better off just saving your cash and doing it right the first time. The ebay setups still require you to do a lot of fabrication. I mean go right a head if you are a primo welder and have access to a pipe bending machine but, when it comes to trusting the setup I would rather spend the cash for a setup desighned specifically for my car. Somebody just posted a thread on there turbo setup!?

If you want to go turbo go for it as long as:
-your car is not a DD
-you have budgeted $10,000 for the turbo and supporting mods
-you have a lot of extra time on your hands to mess with your car

Personally "going turbo" is about the worst idea a Mustang owner can have but that is just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

If you think you are going to "go turbo" on the cheap and do it quickly and easily you are most likely sadly f'n mistaken.

-your car is not a DD

Personally "going turbo" is about the worst idea a Mustang owner can have but that is just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

If you think you are going to "go turbo" on the cheap and do it quickly and easily you are most likely sadly f'n mistaken.

My take on turbo is that it is just the fuel efficient option, probably better actually if you were going to DD it or do a lot of in town driving. However... if you want to make big power, I think going turbo is a pretty damn good way about it. Those Hellion Kits will get you from 400-1200 hp depending on which one you go for.

-your car is not a DD

Im @ $3200 for my custom kit with name brand parts. If you build the kit yourself you could save a ton. Plus on the highway if your running 3.55 and lower gears you will not be in boost at all. so it would be like drive your car NA. I should make over 400rwhp on 10lbs of boost.

I am absolutely pleased with my HP kit. Their support was awesome, the kit was absolutely complete (didn’t have to go buy anything extra), and the craftsmanship was great. Shipping was a bit slow.

As far as driveability, It drives like a well running, non-turbo, car. I can make more power, but keep it conservative with factory parts. The problem with turbo charging is lack of user knowledge. I keep seing the "just another pound of boost" club rebuilding motors, while the "the really big turbo will be better" crowd continues to suffer from turbo lag. If its sized correctly for your intentions, and you go about it correctly, you will enjoy the heck out of it.

Im @ $3200 for my custom kit with name brand parts. If you build the kit yourself you could save a ton. Plus on the highway if your running 3.55 and lower gears you will not be in boost at all. so it would be like drive your car NA. I should make over 400rwhp on 10lbs of boost.
Get back to me when it is actually running and let's see what the total is. Plus it is rare that a person can fabricate their own parts. Of course if you can its gonna be cheaper but cost lots of time which I already said: money AND time

Kilgore is right is one is trying to piece together a turbo setup on the cheap from eBay-sourced Chinese junk. As Maxpowers said, you "can be Cheap, Fast or Reliable. Pick two."

If you go the cheapo eBay route, have money set aside for contingencies at assembly (coz you just know that cobbled-together ****'s not just going to bolt together neat and tidy), for parts replacement (coz you know something isn't right when you get a complete eBay kit for a grand or two when, by rights, a decent turbo alone should come in at that price point), for proper tuning (coz you know that every FI combination really should be dyno-tuned no matter what the kit includes to dump extra fuel in...) and for engine replacement (coz you know that while the engine is at increased risk with any power-adder setup, uncoordinated eBay setups are just that much worse...)

If you have to have a turbo go with an established, properly engineered setup from a known shop like Hellion or HP. You can pay now or you can pay later...