Turbo Upgrade

• Sponsors (?)

yeah, most of the bigger turbos are a bolt on application. Your going to need to retune the computer, but it can be done. I beleive the only turbo that wont have an exact fit is the T4, but racer walsh has a t3/t4 hybrid that will bolt on.

babybudistmonk said:
yeah, most of the bigger turbos are a bolt on application. Your going to need to retune the computer, but it can be done.

Uh...no, you don't need to "retune" the computer to put on a bigger turbo.

Anyway I thought he meant to upgrade the turbo itself, i.e. turn it into a hybrid, which you can do. Just not many people actually do that themselves.

i've never had a bigger turbo "shut a motor down" only thing you need is more fuel pressure when you start adding boost. an adjustable fuel pressure reg usually is a good idea to have when you upgrade...

when you overboost a turbo 2.3 you really only blow a head gasket and a few other seals....

babybudistmonk said:
I thought that because of the more pressure from a bigger turbo, it could create the problem of over-boost and the computer needs to be recalibrated so the engine doesnt shut down

WTF are you talking about? That's what a wastegate and boost controller is for. Plus, if there's too much boost, the engine doesn't shut down, it blows up, generally.

Yeah, because you see so many Cummins motors at the JY. :p eBay would be a better bet, but you'd need a lot more knowledge and fabrication skills than you obviously have right now to use it properly. No offense, but that's the way it is.

Brian

one of the 4 bangers i have has a bigger turbo on it than it originally had and when i get over boost, even witht the wastegate working properly, the computer doesnt allow that much boost, and momentarily hesitates the engine so some of the boost goes away