Turn signal issue

SHOme

Nov 16, 2018
Maryland
Need some help. My turn signals were not working. I traced power and have it all the way to the switch. So I bought a new one. I put it in and still no dice. I can jump the plug from power to each signal and they work. Do I have another bad switch or am I missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I jumped across that switch as well.
The hazards will still work even if the pin on that orange wire is just slightly unseated from the hazard switch the signals will not . Had this happen before.
Do the hazards work if you hit that switch . If not maybe a bad flasher and not a switch issue

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The hazards will still work even if the pin on that orange wire is just slightly unseated from the hazard switch the signals will not . Had this happen before.
Do the hazards work if you hit that switch . If not maybe a bad flasher and not a switch issue
Same for me one time. I didn't even realize it had come unpinned.

Ok now with with a jumper on LB TO O/Y with hazard removed turn signal switch turns dash and exterior lights steady no flash. With same jumper and turn signal switch removed I jump from O/Y to each turn signal I can hear the flasher but no lights come on.

Ok now with with a jumper on LB TO O/Y with hazard removed turn signal switch turns dash and exterior lights steady no flash. With same jumper and turn signal switch removed I jump from O/Y to each turn signal I can hear the flasher but no lights come on.
Hazard switch connected turn signal switch connecected light is on but not flashing. If I leave everything connected and jump from back of plug from O/Y to turn signal I can hear flasher but no lights.

Check the wiring at the ignition switch. These are the most common for issues. Jumping wires isn't really the right way to find an issue.

Check the wiring at the ignition switch. These are the most common for issues. Jumping wires isn't really the right way to find an issue.
Good suggestion. I understand what your saying and I agree, in general terms using jumper wires can cause more harm than good. However in the Ford EVTM it does show using jumper wires as part of certain diagnostic procedures. So in certain cases it's necessary, but you do have to be very careful when doing so.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't know you had an EVTM. Here's what I've got.

20200112_225752.jpg

The Pnk/Org wire should be hot with key on run 12v or the fuse or wiring to the fuse is faulty. If you are jumping the O/Y to LT BLU and hearing the flasher with no lights with the switch clicked right or left there's a problem in the multifunction switch...or low voltage. Should be 12v at the O/Y at the hazard switch. If you have 12v you should be able to jump to one of the turn lamp wires and get the bulb to come on. Turn signal flasher should click rapidly....like when a bulb is blown. Should flash the bulb to whatever lamp you jump to.

This schematic shows the hazard switch part of the circuit being normally open for turn signals. That can't be right because that circuit is open when the hazards are on....so that part is wrong ( shame on Haynes ). Normally, the turn signal circuit is closed and 12v runs through O/Y to the multifunction switch. When turn signals are activated ( left or right ) 12v is sent to either LT Grn / Wht and Lt Grn/Org ( left front and rear ) or Org/Lt Blu and Wht/Lt Blu ( right front and rear ). 12v should be on O/Y with key on. If 12v at Pnk/Org but not at Org/Yel then the hazard switch is faulty. No power at Pnk/Org check fuse....if no power 12v at fuse check ignition switch wiring. Should be 12v at fuse 5 in the fuse box.

Honestly, sounds like you need to replace the turn signal flasher. Its located by the column under the dash. The hazard flasher is on the back of the fuse box.

Flasher should be a 552 if im not mistaken. I think the factory one is light blue....replacement is silver raw metal color.

I replaced the multifunction switch connector. Some of the wires were loose. I replaced the flasher 2 more times. Still no dice. I can jump from O/Y to each turn signal on the multifunction connector and get them to work. Did I get a bad multifunction switch? Has anyone else replaced the switch and received a bad one? Is there something else that could be the issue? I checked the wiring at the hazard switch and it's all tight. Hazard switch functions as it should.