UCA / LCA Bushings, Replace all with Poly?

94-302-vert

Aug 16, 2004
NE CT
Last week I ordered a complete bushing Kit, KYB shcoks/struts, and FMS C-springs. the last of the packages should be waiting for me when I get home today so i am going to start with changing the bushings in the control arms.

Now I have heard from more than one source that I should not change the upper control arm bushings on the axle to the polyurethane. They are saying the suspension will bind up in corners then just break the tires loose without warning if it goes. That sounds bad to me.

So what is the concensus: Do I change all of them for the poly or replace the UCA bushings on the axle housing with new rubber pieces from ford?

Also any tips on changing out these bushings? Total I will be changing bushings in the rear control arms, front control arms, trans mount, front sway bar, isolators, and steering rack.

Thanks,
Chris

• Sponsors (?)

On my old LX i changed all to poly except the UCA to axle mount cause i heard the same thing about it binding up. Unfortunately the car has no engine so it hasnt been run since then.

The answer:
The lowers need to be poly. It is the uppers that have all the issues. Do a search on Corral.net for BIND STUDY....MM did a study on different bushing combinations

ALOT of mustang owner replace thier CA bushing with poly
1) better hadling
2) better feel
3) more control

But some experince
1) ripped torque boxes
2) eratic turn behavior

So if you did the swap, you would'nt be the only one.

My personal advice
keep the uppers all rubber, or at least rubber in the axel housing.

I am instaling a panhard on my LSC with all poly w exception of the axle housing. The panhard induces bind, so I MUST be able to absorbe it somwhere.

If you have more questions I can help. i have done ALOT of research on fox body suspension.

Yeah I have a question / problem.

I got one of the uppers out. the bushing aere shot but a guy at work gave me the uppers out of his car (poly bushing and tubular), the rubber on the axle is also SHOT. so i togt out about 99% of the old bushing (seems glued at the edges) now I am having a fit trying to get the new poly one in.. ANy thoughts?

Chris

Nevermind.

I jsut removed the poly bushing and burned out (Mapp gas torch) the remaining rubber bushing. Just had to scrape it a bit too. Then with it still nice and warm the poly biushing pushed in by hand. Granted it still took a lot of fource but I was able to push it in my hand.

Thanks guys. This mustang noob is learning...

Chris

There is a "soft" poly bushing available from most parts stores(and mustang companys) for the axle end on the upper........i put them in mine and a few months ago and so far no problems....along with D&D's control arm kit.....torque bolts to 80ft/lbs on the uppers,100ft/lbs on the lowers

True it does feel 100 times better…and bumpier that’s for sure. But watch out with the poly bushings. I did all of the rear except the diff ones. I was on the autocross course and they grip and grip and grip and grip, and then, they let go without warning and kill you. I spun out twice. Nothing too serious. Because it was on the track, but be careful on the street. Basically you just have to learn the limitations of what point the bushings will stop helping grip and let your rear loose.