UFC 94

Back to Penn vs GSP

I’d feel comfortable picking Penn If he had the work ethic GSP has.

There is the problem with Penn right there. He "lives" as a fighter which means running on the beach climbing palm trees and other ridiculous stuff. IMO Hawaii is a very distracting place to be a fighter. Why do you think so many fighters come here to Iowa to train?
 
Wow....after the first round, I thought "man....this could be close" but as soon as Round 2 started it was all GSP. He looked untouched and fresh as a daisy at the end of the 4th, where Penn looked like he'd just run the New York Marathon.

It was big of Penn to admit he couldn't go on into the 5th though. No sense trying to delay the inevitable.....especially when you know you've got GSP looking to "make a point" during the course of the fight to make sure there's no mistake who the clear winner was this time.

He’s just friggin unstoppable!!!

And IMO, all the fights but the last two sucked ass! :notnice:
 
The significance in that gif is BJ's brother, JD, has recently filed a complaint with the NSAC claiming that GSP was using some sort of "Vaseline" that made it difficult for BJ to grapple onto GSP (they're essentially saying GSP was cheating). Supposedly Matt Serra had a similar complaint during his fight with him, which you'll probably remember where Serra beat GSP.
 
Haha....I knew there had to be some reason. I mean....the way GSP was beating the tar out of Penn and by the end of the fight Penn was too gassed and beaten to go on and GSP looked like he hadn't even fought yet had to be attributed to something.

Let’s forget steroids or blood doping. Vaseline is the new wave of the future.

Please.....anything to bitch and complain about. :rolleyes:

Even if it were true....do you guys honestly think GSP is the only one thats done it?
 
Do I think He actually did it? No, but with that said Penn did have a bit of difficulty trying to get his legs up onto his shoulders when he was in his guard, you could see his legs kept sliding down the side of GSP.....Hmmmmmmm
 
If BJ had taken this fight as serious as he should’ve I’d be pissed, but since he didn’t I find it hard to care much for him.

But

From the evidence I’ve seen it’s pretty clear that GSP’s camp was doing exactly what they’re being accuse of.
 
From the evidence I’ve seen it’s pretty clear that GSP’s camp was doing exactly what they’re being accuse of.

I guess it all depends on whose side of the controversy you want to believe. One side says it was done purposely, the other says it was done inadvertently. In any case the NSAC official wiped his back and shoulders down between each round after the suspect incident regardless and allowed the fight to continue.

Greg Jackson Addresses Vaseline Allegations | Your Fantasy MMA Authority and MMA news at CagePlay.com

In any case as you stated, Penn was outmatched across the board and the little bit of Vaseline that GSP did have on his back seemed to be a non issue anyway. :shrug:
 
well if he was not so greased up Penn could have gotten those legs over his shoulders and slipped him into an triangle

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Pure speculation at this point. The way Penn was fighting, he couldn't have beaten a cold that night. GSP didn't give him the chance. He was outclassed and outmatched....no question!
 
I guess it all depends on whose side of the controversy you want to believe.
[

I don’t think so...................

You can either believe what you saw. A grown man rubbing Vaseline on the chest, shoulders, head & back of an MMA participant, and go where common sense leads you, or you can believe it was an inadvertent side benefit of a voodoo ritual, as the GSP camp has claimed. :rlaugh::rlaugh:
 
I don’t think so...................

You can either believe what you saw. A grown man rubbing Vaseline on the chest, shoulders, head & back of an MMA participant, and go where common sense leads you, or you can believe it was an inadvertent side benefit of a voodoo ritual, as the GSP camp has claimed. :rlaugh::rlaugh:


Maybe canadians just like to rub themselves w/ greasy substances :shrug:. Help to keep the ice from sticking :shrug:
 
I don’t think so...................

You can either believe what you saw. A grown man rubbing Vaseline on the chest, shoulders, head & back of an MMA participant, and go where common sense leads you, or you can believe it was an inadvertent side benefit of a voodoo ritual, as the GSP camp has claimed. :rlaugh::rlaugh:

Well, after rewatching the video at least half a dozen times, I'm not convinced there was any cheating going on. As the matter of fact, I'd love for you to explain to me what you saw in detail and see if it differs from what I saw?

All of the controversy was based around what happened at the beginning of the 2nd round. Yes at the 9:25 mark you see one of the trainers wiping Vaseline on GSP's face with the first three fingers of his right hand as he dabbed it off of the back of his left hand. At 9:34 you do see him rub the front half of his shoulders once(left hand-right shoulder, right hand-left shoulder), in a single downward stroke with both hands, but I suspect that was done inadvertently to wipe away some of the water GSP had poured onto his head not 2-seconds earlier and to calm him. At this point he continues to work the existing Vaseline already present on his face, into his features.

At 9:43 you see him rub the outside of his shoulders once in a single downward motion and then press on the centre of his chest with the palm and fingers of his right hand (after already having worked the Vaseline off of them and into his face), and massage and brush the remaining water off of his back (which is apparently when the Vaseline was applied) with the left.....but here's the important part.....it was all done with the palm and fingers of his left hand. The remainder of the Vaseline in question was on the back of his hand. So tell me....how did it go from the back of his hand, to his back when we clearly see him rubbing GSP down with his palm and fingers?

I admit, there may have been some small measure of transfer onto the front of his left shoulder and chest, and quite possible even a smaller amount to his shoulders and back that may have been left over from massaging it into his face, but if there was any it was a miniscule amount at best. The way they're making it sound, is like the greased him down like a shaved hog at a drunken Red Neck barn dance. You'll get as much slippage from water and sweat as you would that tiny bit of transfer. And besides....a little transfer is to be expected the way these guys roll around on the mat.

I suspect someone from the Penn camp saw this and blew it out of proportion to get the officials riled up because Penn wasn't dominating quite as they expected. Every round after than, the officials were in there toweling GSP off.

I mean....at one point before they entered the second round, BJ Penn's trainer is seen with his hand on his shoulder giving him advice. When the round starts BJ walks away with a shiny substance on his left shoulder. Should we be suspect of that too? I didn’t see them pour any water on his head? What was on that ice pack? Why weren’t they toweling BJ Penn off after the break? Controversy works two ways after all :shrug:

The bottom line is that the Penn camp is grasping at straws. You can bet if the fight had gone the other way, we wouldn't have heard a peep from them. GSP was the more skilled competitor and he dominated....that's all there is to it. No amount of Vaseline on your body is going to help if you don't brink your A-game...and Penn didn't, which is why he lost. End of story!