unable to pull codes - new FR harness

stangman16

Nov 16, 2004
San Antonio, TX
Bought a new harness for my A9L EFI conversion due to all the issues with the used harness I had. But now i'm unable to pull any codes, and I double checked everything before firing the engine. The engine started right away and when I tried to do a KOER test I could hear the engine rev up to ~1500 as normal but I never got any codes from my reader - it just displayed 000. Tried to do a KOEO test and I didn't hear the computer click like it usually does, and no codes - 000.

Found JRichkers instructions and tested the resistance between the computer test ground (gray/red) and the battery ground. 4.43 ohms

Tested resistance between pin 46 and the STI connector and my Fluke voltmeter reads OL. (open loop)

Tested resistance of pin 46 on ECM and pins 40/60 on ECM. Both read 0.2 ohms.

Since the voltmeter is reading OL it seems I have a wiring problem, but I'm not sure where it would be, especially since I have a new O2 and FR main harness. I have a ground to firewall and a battery cable for a ground between the block and chasis. Black/white EEC battery ground (26) wire is connected, and the body ground wire (38) is connected inside by the glove box on my '66.

Here's the harness diagram, I do not see how the wiring could be messed up, but if it is - would it be within the green area on this diagram? Any ideas?

FR_EFIHarnessDiagram2.jpg

Red X's indicate not used, and I have not removed or touched that part of wiring. #37 is for AC clutch connector and the others are TAB/TAD, EGR, and AC pressure switch.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes wiring checks out.

leave the scanner alone for now.

Using the same diagram above. Make a jumper(paper clip, small wire) and go from the STI to the SIGRTN. Go sit in the driver seat and turn the Key on to run a KOEO test. See if the Check Engine light flashes codes.

okay perhaps there is a wiring issue with the CEL, so I picked up a light from radio shack to use for the check engine light.

pRS1C-2265108w345.jpg

when I turn the key it does not come on. If i disconnect the side of the light that goes to the 'pink/lt green wire and touch it to the body it lights up. The other side is coming from my 'crank & run' power source. My ECM has been throwing a code 15 because of my quarterhorse...so it should light up always - unfortunately.

The book states: Pink/Light Green wire connect to check engine light. Connect other side of the light to a "Crank" and "Run" power source. This must be used.

I can only assume the Pink/Light Green wire is a ground coming from the computer and it closes the loop when there is an error code..?

If i have this wired correctly, then what do I test next to find out why the Pink/Light Green wire does close the loop?

ebay for 89-93 with long-tube headers

Details:
--------
Mustang O2 Oxygen sensor harness 24" ext built in 87-93

This New harness has 24" of wire already added for long tube Headers. It connects the two oxygen sensors and oil level sensor into the main harness. Fits Ford Mustangs 5.0L 1987-1993 with manual transmission.

---------------------------

It plugged right in to main connector and both O2's for a 93 mustang.

Something has to be wrong with the ECM.

But first stick the volt meter red lead in the SIGRTN wire at the code test connector. Black lead to a good body ground. Turn key on and see of any voltage shows up.

Monitor that voltage while cranking also.

Where these checks done with the ECM unhooked? Not talking about the STI to ground test. Just the other 2

Yeah - ECM was disconnected and I probed from the 60-pin connector.. Just today I read that you're not supposed to do that..

But first stick the volt meter red lead in the SIGRTN wire at the code test connector. Black lead to a good body ground. Turn key on and see of any voltage shows up.

Monitor that voltage while cranking also.

Let me check this, ty