Undercarriage Overspray? Factory or possible repaint?

JMBFCOBRA95

Jun 28, 2019
PA/NJ/NY
Hey everyone!!

I'm looking at another 95 Cobra.. I noticed some overspray on the undercarriage but can not determine if it is from a repaint or from the factory.. what have you guys and gals experienced?? Is it a common factory overspray or it's never been seen before??

Thank you for your time and feedback, its greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Hey everyone!!

I'm looking at another 95 Cobra.. I noticed some overspray on the undercarriage but can not determine if it is from a repaint or from the factory.. what have you guys and gals experienced?? Is it a common factory overspray or it's never been seen before??

Thank you for your time and feedback, its greatly appreciated!
Hi, 1995 OEM Factory Paint does not leave overspray on any areas like that. You may wish to view all areas of the vehicle, moldings are many times masked off and is quite evident.
If you see you can see color on a Molding, around tailamps, headlamps, etc., any at all- it’s been at least partially repainted. Look at the “orange peel” showing how wet or dry the paint was applied, if it was a spot repain- say Fender feathered out to the door and hood, you will see inconsistencies in how heavy the paint was applied. If it’s not very slow changes, it’s had work done.
Also look at the finish in outside light or well lit internal areas carefully for sandscratch swelling, (Sands ratchets under the paint). Quite visible if you look, carefully.
Other areas the Color may not remain identical from one panel to the rest, also look underneath on the Pinch welds to see if clamp marks exist, or existing holes in the unitized frame that may be ovalled, slightly from frame work.
Some marks may be from being anchored to a flatbed Tow Vehicle, but I’d say 80% likely you’ll find more evidence if they were sloppy enough to leave the frame open to be hit by overspray. If it had the same tires, may also be visible there.
if a spot repair was not done correctly & blended out to surrounding panels. You can also compare panels- Fenders & verify if own, Trunk can allow views of inner quarter panels, if they were repaired, you’ll see some damage exists on the inside as well.
Take your time, get a Carfax from them to see if an accident was reported in its history.
Understand, some may not report it & repair out of pocket, or by themselves in order to keep resale value up.
Careful, don’t want to buy another’s headache! lol
Good luck!!
- John

Reactions: 1 user
Here are some photos for viewing

Attachments

• IMG952268.jpg
    IMG952268.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG952265.jpg
    IMG952265.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG952267.jpg
    IMG952267.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG952266.jpg
    IMG952266.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG952263.jpg
    IMG952263.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 366
I agree with Mustang5L5’s comments, not abnormal, only curious spot is the inside Rocker pinch Weld area, which more than likely may have come from a bomb Can of touch up paint by the previous owner, versus a Shop’s overspray.
You’ll need to look at the body carefully to locate subtle evidence coming through the Paint from the substrate, I.E. Sand Scratches, Orbital sanding marks, bullseyes, continuity of, evidence of overspray on Moldings, Lights, etc..
If a good Body Shop did the work, it should be pretty transparent to an eye not engaged in the Trade & most parts are not masked, they’re removed. Evidence usually presents as unequal topcoat degeneration over time, if spot repaired.
Really have to look very close, there’s instruments designed for rapid detection by measuring topcoat to sheet metal thickness irregularities in Mil’s, IE; Plastic filler, Spot & Glazing putty, excess primer layering, also enhanced optic’s to compare Color and detect secondary work much easier, you’ll need to uncover something solid by eye.
- John