• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech

understanding sizes

  • Thread starter Thread starter denver k
  • Start date Start date Mar 29, 2008

denver k

New Member
Mar 29, 2008
3
0
0
Denver
Mar 29, 2008
#1
  • Mar 29, 2008
  • #1
I admit, I don't get it. Yes, I've read this a while but fear spending money on mistakes.

I have a 2005 GT. I want a more aggressive look, thinking I want deep dish wheels.

Does this work?
18*9 front, 18*10 back?
What tires, do I need "spacers" and will basic spring kits still work?

I am sorry for the lame questions, really am trying to get this straight.

knox
 

xxrequiemxx

Member
Aug 23, 2001
239
0
16
Long Island, NY
Mar 29, 2008
#2
  • Mar 29, 2008
  • #2
Those sizes will work fine i believe without spacers and will be fine with the spring kit...

There are MANY other threads in regard to this one. Try out a search.
 
S

Snooze

New Member
Jan 16, 2008
43
0
0
Mar 30, 2008
#3
  • Mar 30, 2008
  • #3
to make it easy. Go to a tire website that has a rim selector based on Vehicle search paramaters.
 

psfracer

Member
Dec 30, 2007
35
0
6
Valencia, CA
Mar 30, 2008
#4
  • Mar 30, 2008
  • #4
denver k said:
I admit, I don't get it. Yes, I've read this a while but fear spending money on mistakes.

I have a 2005 GT. I want a more aggressive look, thinking I want deep dish wheels.

Does this work?
18*9 front, 18*10 back?
What tires, do I need "spacers" and will basic spring kits still work?

I am sorry for the lame questions, really am trying to get this straight.

knox
Click to expand...

My street set up is the same thing --- here is exactly what I have.
Front: 18x9 +36mm offset no spacers with a 255/45/18 tire.
Rear: 18X10 +45mm offset no spacers with a 295/45/18 tire. I went with a 28 tall in the rear because I also have 4.10s. With the +45mm offset, you can also lower the car without the fender hitting the tire. I lowered the rear of the car 1.5 inches so the car didn't look like a 4X4 with the taller tire in the back. It really fills the fenderwell nicely since its lowered.
 

DarkFireGT

Playing with my wife's really makes me want one.
10 Year Member
May 23, 2004
692
10
89
East Moline, IL
Mar 30, 2008
#5
  • Mar 30, 2008
  • #5
I'm running pretty much exactly what PSFracer is running, except +40mm rear offset.
 

psfracer

Member
Dec 30, 2007
35
0
6
Valencia, CA
Mar 30, 2008
#6
  • Mar 30, 2008
  • #6
See, now that looks sweet. Great stance and good picture.
 

denver k

New Member
Mar 29, 2008
3
0
0
Denver
Mar 30, 2008
#7
  • Mar 30, 2008
  • #7
Thanks

That is exactly what I'm looking for, great pic! Thanks guys.
 

TRIBALMAN23

New Member
Feb 23, 2008
49
0
0
Mar 31, 2008
#8
  • Mar 31, 2008
  • #8
DarkfireGT,

Did you lower your car or did you have any suspension mods done? I am also looking for wheel sizes to put on. Plus are you running on the same size rubber as listed above?
 

DarkFireGT

Playing with my wife's really makes me want one.
10 Year Member
May 23, 2004
692
10
89
East Moline, IL
Mar 31, 2008
#9
  • Mar 31, 2008
  • #9
Yes I'm lowered with the Eibach Pro-Kit. Also have D-Specs and pretty much full BMR suspension. LCA's, UCA, LCA Relocation Brackets, Adjustable Panhard Bar, etc...

I'm running 255/45/18 front and 295/45/18 rear. 18x9 front 18x10 rear.
 
H

Hoboattacker

New Member
Sep 7, 2005
542
0
0
Baton Rouge (LSU) / Houston, TX
Mar 31, 2008
#10
  • Mar 31, 2008
  • #10
Only go with the 28" tall tire if you have 4.10's. It reduces your effective gearing to have a larger tire out back than a 27". If you have a 28" tall tire out back with 4.10's, the effective gearing is ~3.92
 

kooldawg6

mine works really well and can take a fair amount
Aug 31, 2006
1,679
2
38
Central VA
Apr 1, 2008
#11
  • Apr 1, 2008
  • #11
Hoboattacker said:
Only go with the 28" tall tire if you have 4.10's.
Click to expand...

Do these Mustangs have any other gear??????
They should have the 4.10 as a factory option!
Seriously, I don't see why you can't go with the 28" rear tire if you have stock gearing???? That is almost like saying you need 4.10 gears if you put in an additional 150-200 lbs of stereo goodies
 

denver k

New Member
Mar 29, 2008
3
0
0
Denver
Apr 7, 2008
#12
  • Apr 7, 2008
  • #12
Thanks to those that helped me via PM.
My springs came today. My local shop tells me i need camber plates, but I'm not so sure.
Wheel are coming soon, pretty exciting!
Thanks again.
 

DarkFireGT

Playing with my wife's really makes me want one.
10 Year Member
May 23, 2004
692
10
89
East Moline, IL
Apr 8, 2008
#13
  • Apr 8, 2008
  • #13
kooldawg6 said:
Do these Mustangs have any other gear??????
They should have the 4.10 as a factory option!
Seriously, I don't see why you can't go with the 28" rear tire if you have stock gearing???? That is almost like saying you need 4.10 gears if you put in an additional 150-200 lbs of stereo goodies
Click to expand...

I"m running 3.31's. Any loss of acceleration is made up by more traction. Both my street and track tires are over 28".
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

O
SOLD FS: 18" FR500 chrome wheels and Toyo tires
  • optionizerSS
  • May 21, 2026
  • Other Classifieds
Replies
1
Views
203
Other Classifieds Jun 2, 2026
optionizerSS
O
D
Progress Thread Calypso Green 92 LX Hatchback
  • Dakar09
  • May 18, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
19
Views
719
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
rednotch
J
Wheels-Tires Need Some Help - Brakes Upgrade/Wheel fitment
  • jaygee15
  • Dec 8, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 3 4 5
Replies
81
Views
3K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 6, 2026
AeroCoupe
B
Tire size question 1986 gt hatchback
  • B0udreaux
  • Jan 12, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
743
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 17, 2026
B0udreaux
B
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
346
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?