Unique Performance

67FBack

Feb 27, 2006
New Braunfels, TX
I had an opportunity to visit UP (Unique Performance) this last week.

I must say that I was very impressed! I got to look at the 350SR, the Eleanor, and the Super Snake 427. Wow!

These cars are beautiful. And they are done right. I do not want to be one of those people who support a company and be liable for my comments, so please take note. But the mechanics, the paint people, and the whole operation is very professional.

The 427 big block was extremely powerful, and loud when pushed. I wonder how it rides? 850+ HP now. I am still on the fence when choosing if I should go with the small block 351/427 or the full blown 427!

Has anybody ridden in the 427 big block car yet? Is it rough?

I want a car that is not for the track, that I can use more than occasionally, but not a daily driver.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Where was this Unique Performance you visited? I know a couple of guys that work at it in DFW, I'm not too familiar with the company do they have other branches around texas and the rest of the US?

Flares

mr-fixit said:
How are they doing the fender flares on the 350SR? Are they metal, or fiberglass bolt ons that are molded in?

Honestly, my main concern was with the Eleanor/Super Snake, so I didn't spend a lot of time with the SR.

Just looking at them, I don't think there were flared. The tires were semi/slicks and if memory serves me correctly, the were actually sticking outside the fender about 2-2 1/2".

EEM said:
Where was this Unique Performance you visited? I know a couple of guys that work at it in DFW, I'm not too familiar with the company do they have other branches around texas and the rest of the US?

They are located in Farmers Branch TX just 12 miles from DFW where I flew in to.

I don't know of any other locations, but I think they have, or are getting Dealers.

67FBack said:
The 427 big block was extremely powerful, and loud when pushed. I wonder how it rides? 850+ HP now. I am still on the fence when choosing if I should go with the small block 351/427 or the full blown 427!
The FE 427 will be worth more at resale time.

As far as performance, the FE's larger bore will give it an advantage over the Windsor with respect to valve shrouding. But it seems like the modern trend is toward square or undersquare engines for all-around torque output.

The real dividing line is weight.

A 427-4v with aluminum intake, iron heads, and iron exhaust manifolds weighs 659 lbs. The bare block weighs 204 lbs.

A 351W-2v with iron intake, heads, and exhaust weighs 518 lbs. I have seen shipping weights for Dart blocks of 194 lbs.

So the difference in weight is in the range of 140-160 lbs. Probably a lot smaller difference than most people would expect. If you go with an aluminum FE block, that'll knock off 100 lbs (at a cost of a couple thousand bucks) and it'll weigh pretty much the same as an iron Windsor.

All things considered, and going by the fact that the GT500E is mostly about collectibility anyway, I would go with the FE, no doubt about it. With its extensive race history -- NASCAR, Le Mans, NHRA, and 427 Cobras -- the 427 FE will always have 10 times the sex appeal off a stroker 427W.