Unknown prob anyone help please!

94302Stang

Feb 15, 2009
Miami
I have a 94 5.0 that i bought about two years ago but here is my problem... for the past month or so it started giving me this really wierd problem. One morning i tried to start it up but she wouldn't fire up, just kept cranking. i left it alone for the entire morning and later came back out and she fired right up. now it just got worse. sometimes it starts up and other times it doesn't almost as if it wanted to start up whenever it feels like it. but when i do get it started, it dies out on me after about 2 or 3 minutes while idling and wont start back up after that. one day recently i got it started, went inside to grab a cd and when i came back out it was off but i could hear the fuel pump whining and the check engine light along with the battery light stay on and will not start up again after. I have taken it to 4 or 5 different mechanics and none can tell me what is wrong. i took it to an electrician and he told me to take it to the Ford dealer and have them check out the CCRM which is right next to the Coolant reservoir tank. the battery checked out fine at Auto Zone i bought about a year and a half ago. also when i get it started and take it to any mechanic, it doesnt give them any problems, it fixes itself but when i bring it back home, it starts acting up again. any feedback would be greatly appreciated, please help anyone im about to go out of mind with this problem! Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Get the CCRM looked at it is a multi relay that has its hands in a lot of things.

Also check your grounds. The batt. to chassis, batt. to block, and block to chassis as well as any underhood grounds. The underhood grounds all have a green screw/bolt that will help you figure out if it is an important ground.

Intermittent issues are the worst. Hang in there be patient and check the big stuff first.

Yea im pretty sure it might be the CCRM because i bought it with a Clifford alarm already installed on it and it has the Auto-Start feature and when i try to turn it on using the little remote i can hear the fuel pump come on as i said earlier, i feel the fuel go through the fuel lines and right before it cranks i hear a little clicking sound coming from the CCRM so im guessing it has to be that or maybe the dam Clifford is interfering with another wire since its hooked up to the ignition coil... i think im not really sure how that works but yea i will have to get it towed to the dealer if i cant get it started. Thanks

Yea im pretty sure it might be the CCRM because i bought it with a Clifford alarm already installed on it and it has the Auto-Start feature and when i try to turn it on using the little remote i can hear the fuel pump come on as i said earlier, i feel the fuel go through the fuel lines and right before it cranks i hear a little clicking sound coming from the CCRM so im guessing it has to be that or maybe the dam Clifford is interfering with another wire since its hooked up to the ignition coil... i think im not really sure how that works but yea i will have to get it towed to the dealer if i cant get it started. Thanks

I'm betting on the PIP (stator) being the issue. Fairly common fault on the 94-95's and behaves as you described before it fails completely.

If the CEL was on, you should be able to get codes. This helps a LOT.

When it won't catch, check for spark, injector pulsing and fuel pressure. An inductive timing light is a real quick way to check for spark, a noid light is a quick way to check injector pulsing and a fuel pressure gauge checks, well you know..... You can often loan-out the first and last from a parts store. Noid lights are 5 bucks.

If you want to check your CCRM in/outs, here's a little tech note

Good luck.

Just wanted you to know your not alone as mine does the same thing. Good luck as I have yet to find the problem. I do know that when it does not start the fuel pressure barely reads. I put a new fuel pump in and it ran like a champ for a couple weeks then right back to its normal behavior. Mine will start just fine but shuts off between 1-100 miles and then has to sit for 24hrs. After it sits you can jump in and it starts like nothing ever happened. Hard as hell to trouble shoot because you cant make it do it. Just have to carry as much equipment with you as possible to narrow it down when it does decide to act up.

Loose wires somewhere or the dang CCRM. Get a test light and go to town. I work at a dealership, so I might be able to download and email a wiring diagram for the car.

Also check the Ignition control Module.

ok here is the latest with my unknown problem... when i posted this up on saturday, i had it in a shop getting checked out and i picked up later on that day. the guy told me it was the temperature sensor that was not letting it start up in the mornings so i took the car home it drove fine all day. the next morning i started her up but immediately died out on me. after that it did not start up until about 3 or 4 tries. i left it alone the rest of the day and then yesterday i got in and it started up fine did not die out or anything so i decided to take her for a run and pump some fresh 93 octane gas. she ran great all that time everything was smooth. Now i got home this morning from work and i just tried to start her up and guess what.... NO START! just cranks but does not start. I appreciate all the replies with ur guesses but my problem is im not that knowledgable on all this stuff so most of the stuff u guys told me to do, i usually take it to my mechanic for him to do. another thing is that, like BOS-94-003 said, its tricky cause u cant make it do it so when i take it to my mechanic he says he cant really check anything unless he gets it to do what it does to me. So is there a list of the main things that could be causing this? or could it be just anything?

swap out the dizzy. when the pip went out in mine i had the same symptoms as you. sometimes it would start sometimes it wouldn't. i didn't have any cel's either. pop the distributor cap and look for metalic dust inside. that's also a very good indication. took me a couple of months to track that down. luckly it was not my only vehical. i also tried a coil and ignition control mod from a running car with no fix. my last shot was a dizzy and that was it.

You might have to leave the car with your mechanic for several days. I had a problem with my old V6 where the engine would cut out while driving - I'd have to pull over and try to restart the car. It would eventually restart and act like nothing happened. It took my mechanic several days to drive the car until it finally happened to him. In my case, it was a bad CCRM.

Point is, your mechanic needs to keep your Stang and use it until he can reproduce the problem.

There are things you can do to test the car when it won't start, but if you're nervous about it then that's ok. Let yuor mechanic diagnose the problem.

:nice:Well I got my car back from my mechanic and he said they had to clean out the throttle body and reset the IAC. i have had it for two days now and she seems to run fine just kinda hesitates to start up a little bit. i hope this was the problem all along and not something else thats more expensive. anyway thanks guys for ur help and ill let u know if anything else happens with that.

:nice:Well I got my car back from my mechanic and he said they had to clean out the throttle body and reset the IAC. i have had it for two days now and she seems to run fine just kinda hesitates to start up a little bit. i hope this was the problem all along and not something else thats more expensive. anyway thanks guys for ur help and ill let u know if anything else happens with that.

Almost guaranteed that is not the solution to the problem you described in the very first post.(no start and random shutting down) Cleaning the TB and adjusting the IAC will at best deal with idle issues. But hey, keep us informed.

Only 3 things come to mind with these symptoms, PIP/Dizzy - the problem about 99% of the time, number 2 the CCRM, it's a POS and the little crappy relays in there go bad easily, and last, the TFI module, which doesn't seem to go bad nearly as much as they did on the old Fox bodies!

You don't need to pay mechanics to work on the car, if they don't know their Mustangs, they'll keep throwing this and that at it until they find the problem or you run out of money. Go get a new dizzy and drive it for a few days then report back.

Well i guess that was the problem because i drove it all day yesterday and she ran fine. no problems at all so maybe it was an idle problem. Anyway i'll keep u guys posted if anything else happens.

I have my doubts as well, even the worst idle issue wouldnt prevent the car from starting and then magically fix itself and have it run fine. Glad its working for you now but Id hate for you to get stuck somewhere. As everyone has said, the PIP and the CCRM are very notorious for similar problems and would be one of the first things i looked into.

Ok yesterday it drove fine but guess what... today in the afternoon i was going out and it did not start up right away :mad: so i took my other car and later when i got back like 2 hours later i tried it and it did not start up right away but eventually fired her up. so tomorrow im going to get the CCRM checked out.