Unknown Rattle Noise

stangstooge

Jun 10, 2005
I have an odd metallic rattle, seems to come from under the car maybe exhaust but only under acceleration from idle to about 2000 rpm, after that all is quiet. I've briefly looked under the car and found nothing loose. Anyone have any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Is there anyway for you to get a sound clip? Based on what you said, I'll assume you have already isolated this to the rear.

Is the sound occurring under load while driving only or while in neutral as well and pressing the accelerator?

Do you have someone who can help you as you try to get a better idea of where the sound is coming from?

Exhaust Rattle

Here is a simplle fix for a rattle noise heard around the transmission tunnel/shifter area at around 800-2000 rpm. Refer to Ford TSB 06-4-1, this fix places simple hose clamps around the two pipe hangers at the transmission cross member, this effectively dampens the rattle.

Here is a simplle fix for a rattle noise heard around the transmission tunnel/shifter area at around 800-2000 rpm. Refer to Ford TSB 06-4-1, this fix places simple hose clamps around the two pipe hangers at the transmission cross member, this effectively dampens the rattle.
I had the "buzz", apparently emanating from the console "stack", or radio/controls panel, at the TSB-specified RPM (800 and 1600, IIRC). Took it to the dealer, whose expert technicians cured it by realigning the exhaust, under warranty, no clamp required. I guess they don't always update TSBs as the cures evolve.

Any road, it doesn't seem to me those symptoms match the OP's. Maybe the rattle disappears at 2000RPM because it's drowned out by other noises, or because the engine resumes its normal attitude after early acceleration. A companion with a good ear and a stethescope may be required.