Unusual Braking Issue(s)???

91StangGT5.0

Oct 21, 2009
Ok this has been going on since I spent $1596 on getting my braking system redone back in October So I've been trying to figure out why there is a problem since then......My brakes pretty much lock pretty easily. I can roll pretty darn slow and slam my brakes my car rolls about 5-8ft before stopping...usually a car stops and would jerk you forward. Well not my car. If I'm driving normally and have to get on my brakes pretty good (not nearly as much as it would take to lock up the brakes in any other car) my car's brakes will most of the time sort of lock up. This makes it a pain to drive in San Antonio in the rain during rush hour! I've taken it back to the brake shop immediately after finding it out just from leaving the place! All they told me is that it may be my Master Cylinder or more than likely my cam is eating up too much vaccuum! I have a Trick Flow Stage 1 cam! It shouldn't be eating enough to screw with my brakes. I'm at a loss to figure out why my brakes aren't functioning normally.

This is all I got done at the shop....

New Rotors and Performance Brake Pads
New Front Brake Hardware
New Wheel Bearing all around
Brand New Rear Drum Brakes (Everything got replaced!)
New Shocks/Struts all around

I didn't get new calipers though.

• Sponsors (?)

Im confused, are you saying they work too good, causing them to lock and slide or not good enough?

It confuses me too. It's hard to explain. It's better to try it yourself rather than try to explain the problem. But yea, the brakes are not good enough by far. They lock up way too easy (if i'm going 10 mph the front will lock if pushed hard) and the stopping distance sucks.

If it didn't do it before you took it to the shop it is probably something they did or didn't do right. I'd make them fix it for FREE. If they don't get in contact with the BBB. If you were going with different calipers or master cylinder/brake booster I might say differently but this isn't the case. Also why did you wait 3 months?

Unless you changed the cam AFTER the brake work, then the mechanic cannot use brake vacuum as an explanation.

Presuming that the only thing changed was the brakes...and the BEFORE and AFTER behavior are not consistent, we must reasonably assume that the actual brake job itself it the source of the problem.

I have no idea what the problem is....but consider the following items cosiderations for review:

- Is brake fluid leaking at the caliper or where the brake line meets the caliper ?

- Is there grease on the pads or rotors from the installation ?

- Were the lines and calipers properly bled ?
Trapped water can convert into a gas if/when brake fluid heats up
Trapped air will typically cause a soft pedal/weak braking

Is this a stock brake setup? In other words did you change any components out to non-stock parts?

And if it is stock, then holy damn $1500 on stock brakes?

As for the front brakes locking easily, do both lock, or just the driver's side front left wheel?

probably a proportioning problem, when you hit the brakes the rears initiate first then the front brakes, if the front come on first they lock easy cause there wasnt time for the weight to transfer to the front

Everything I listed are not stock, but also the $1596 was with labor too. The cam was already installed when I took the car in. Its not a total hazard for me right now. I can stop pretty easily it's just that I have to be careful and not surprise the brakes too fast.