update on;"well i'm on my way to a full exhaust"

blackstang00

Jan 18, 2004
well as i said in the other thread. i got the a/m thunder c/b for 236 shipped.
the add said that they were 2.5", wich they are and stainless 2.5" tips. well when i got 3 days ago the tips were alluminized.

so i called the company that sold them to me.they pulled the add up and agreed that i was supposed to get the stainless tips. they made the correction to the add. i had the choice of getting my money back or have them send me the mustang style stainless tips. so i chose the tips for my own reasons. i'll put the system on and take it to my local muffler shop. he (the guy at the muffler shop) said it would be no problem to weld them on. in fact i'm gonna see if he'll put 3" tips x 20" long stainless on it for me.

do u think by doing that it will change the tone? or better yet what if i have him put 3" from the back off the mufflers into the tips.that may sound really cool. i do have a stock engine for now. and i will have the rest of my exhaust next month. so by doing all this i will have 3"tips and possibly 3" from the back of the mufflers for much less than it would cost me to buy the A/M Thunder c/b with the stainless tips on them. i don't want a full 3"c/b. there is no reason for it at this time. i will get a blower later on. but i believe by doing this, it will be for sound and prolly won't kill my torq too much. besides 3" pipe would look so sinnister coming down the back side of the rear tires.
tell me what u guys think. so sorry its so long.
thanks alot.jay.

• Sponsors (?)

Going with 3" tips will add some bass and gargle to the exhaust note, but if you're running 2.5" tubing or smaller before that ... I dunno. Seems sort of similar to the 4-banger import crowd clamping a 4" exhaust tip onto a 2" exhaust outlet. Y'know, making it seem bigger than it is, really. (*cough* rice *cough*) But that's just my take on it.

As long as you've got a proper setup, 2.5" piping is plenty sufficient to get some good sound without any compromises in torque or horsepower.