Upgrade Advice Needed

Chronos[AsG]

Dec 20, 2003
NC
I have a 1994 GT that is pretty much bone stock except for the ignition components that I have had to replace because of wear. I think I may be getting some 95 Cobra R wheels and new tires tommorow and I was thinking of a few more things I may upgrade. My first idea was to replace the mufflers with Flowmasters. I probably need to replace the O2 sensors also, as I dont think they've ever been changed. I was also thinking about getting new springs and shocks instead so that I can lower the car (stock ride height). But first I wanted to get some opinions from you guys. What is the first thing you would do?

• Sponsors (?)

What are your goals for the car? Performance street?
How many miles are on the car?

Regardless, the first thing is rear gears. 3.73 - 3.90 for T-5 or 4.10 for auto. Best bang for the buck. Hands down.

Mufflers are also good for sound and future upgrades, but don't expect performance.

Springs & shocks are good for looks and some handleing improvements.

O2's - don't expect performance. I probably wouldn't change them unless you are specifically having problems (or big miles)

Intake (Edel. Performer) is good for about 20 HP and a good foundation for later mods.

How bout a shifter? Pro 5.0 and Steeda Tri-ax are highly recommended.

Underdrive pulleys - not bad

Cold air intake - not bad

Do a search, this has been gone over countless times.

Rick

Heh, ok, I guess I should have included more details. As far as goals for the car, I want it to be a nice street car. I doubt I will be taking it to a track or anything. Its got about 87k miles on it and its an automatic. Though in the coming months I may be doing a switch to a manual. As for upgrades for now, I will probably have about $500 to spend after wheels/tires. I know I can get a set of flowmasters for that or less. I dont know how much it will cost to lower it. Right now I'm just looking for a good setup. I dont think I want to get into upgrading the engine quite yet, that will be for later.

Get you a cold air induction, and slip loud mouth cat back. Looks good under the hood and car be loud as hell, thats what I would do if your all about show and not racin, take about a hour to get everything on real easy to install

Do your research on what your overall goal you want to accomplish with your car. Write up a dream list of everything you want, then prioritize. If you have an item in mind then ask for opinions on that specific product and narrow it down to your budget. Some people want to start off with flows and some n2o. So with that said...Start on your list and get what your first impulse is to get. I can't even remember my first mod anymore....I think it was a Tri-Ax.

My $.02

1) $400 Lower it with the bullitt kit, best bang for buck in suspension department.
2) $400 4.10s (so I'm told is what you need for auto)
3) $400 Exhaust (it won't be too loud with stock H-pipe, that should go first IMHO)
4) $150 Underdrive Pullies & K&N (have you removed the silencer yet?)

500 bucks:

performance
280 = flowmaster catback (summitracing.com)
150 = 373 gear set (partshopper.com)
70 = cold air induction (procarparts.com)

looks
just go to UPRProducts.com, they have tons of dress up ideas for mustang interiors. I highly recommend the letter inserts for the bumper and the reverse glow guages. There is also several nice looking billet aluminum packages available.

For what you want, a nice street ride, sounds like your on the right track...tires and wheels, lower it some, and throw some mufflers on it....500.00 should do that...stay away from a catback and your 500.00 should get it done....a shop can always weld in your muffler choice....the Bullit kit is a nice choice...you get all the stuff in one shot....Dugan racing has some nice lowering kits to....

He wants suspension guys, not hp. When you are ready for engine help, there will definitely be some opinions for you. In the meantime, DougNuts was dead on with the Bullitt suspension kit. Top quality stuff (Tokico) and cheap price. However, the drop is subtle. If you want something a bit more noticeable (along with handling improvements), I suggest Eibach sportline. The springs are in the $200 range, and install is a breeze (and cheap for a shop). As for struts, the Tokicos are really hard to beat, unless you can afford some Konis.

Jon

Thanks for all your replies. I think I'm going to break down the upgrades into two categories, Presentation and Performance. Since I'm getting new wheels I guess I'm starting with presentation. I'm tempted to start with a lowering kit. I'm sure the new wheels will look good but the car will still have that 4x4 look (ugh). After that I will do the exhaust and a few other miscellaneous things that need to be done. After all that is done then I'll start working on performance. I'd like to change the differential gears soon but I've never done it and I dont know how long it'll take. I cant have the car in the garage for more than 2 days because of work. Of course, I dont know how long it will take to lower it either, so I'd appreciate any info on that.

StangJonGT said:
He wants suspension guys, not hp. When you are ready for engine help, there will definitely be some opinions for you. In the meantime, DougNuts was dead on with the Bullitt suspension kit. Top quality stuff (Tokico) and cheap price. However, the drop is subtle. If you want something a bit more noticeable (along with handling improvements), I suggest Eibach sportline. The springs are in the $200 range, and install is a breeze (and cheap for a shop). As for struts, the Tokicos are really hard to beat, unless you can afford some Konis.

Jon

Thanks for the info Jon. I was looking at the Eibach springs. How much do they lower the car? I seem to recall seeing some debates on here about what amount of drop looked best. Also, if I get the springs do I need to replaces all the shocks and struts? I'm assuming so, otherwise they would be partially compressed all the time.

By the way, would you guys recommend changing the bushings on the suspension? My friend is saying polyurethane or polygraphite bushings may help.

Lowering is quick. Should take an hour with air tools. Also, while the car will look better lowered, you will certainly have to categorize the mod as performance, since it will handle much better. Oh, and one more thing, make sure you get subframe connectors. They run about $100 for the good stuff, and they weld right in (quickly). But they are worth their weight in gold.

Jon