Upgrade time! Brakes, steering, rear-end advice

boatillo

Jun 10, 2006
I've had my 67 coupe "finished" for several years now, won many trophies and drive many miles. Now I'd like for it to act more modern.

1) I need to do at least a switch from manual front drums to power disc brakes; however, they must fit inside my classic 14x7 magnums. I've found lots of kits, some "stock"-ish ones that should fit, but I cannot pinpoint a kit that has *everything* included to go from manual drums to power discs. Recommendations?

2) I'm trying to decide between doing a 3.55 posi third member and keep my stock 8" rearend on the car, or buy a pre-built 9" with 3.50, posi, and some discs brakes that will again fit my 14x7 magnums. I've no experience doing this work, is a third member install something I can do in my garage? My engine is only pushing 300hp, do I even want to think about a 9" or is it overkill? Where can I get a rear disc kit to fit my 28 spline 8"?

3) I NEED POWER STEERING! Again a complete conversion kit. I see some that seem to be $500 while others are up to $1400. The parts look very simple to install, is this something I can do in my garage? Will it be too hard to do with the engine installed?

I live near Albuquerque, should I just find a shop to do this? Can anyone recommend someone there, I'm fairly new. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

1) I need to do at least a switch from manual front drums to power disc brakes; however, they must fit inside my classic 14x7 magnums. I've found lots of kits, some "stock"-ish ones that should fit, but I cannot pinpoint a kit that has *everything* included to go from manual drums to power discs. Recommendations?
Glazier Nolan has multiple kits that fit this description. Get the stock front discs- they easily fit in the magnum 500.

2) I'm trying to decide between doing a 3.55 posi third member and keep my stock 8" rearend on the car, or buy a pre-built 9" with 3.50, posi, and some discs brakes that will again fit my 14x7 magnums. I've no experience doing this work, is a third member install something I can do in my garage? My engine is only pushing 300hp, do I even want to think about a 9" or is it overkill? Where can I get a rear disc kit to fit my 28 spline 8"?
At 300 hp, you don't really need a 9" It's not like the 8" sucks, in fact they both have some of the same parts, such as spider gears. If you want limited slip, get a Traction-Loc from Currie. Their 8" unit is stronger than many OEM 9". Garage install of a complete unit is easy. Racing teams can do them in under a half hour, in the 60's Ford rears were called the "quick change". Anyone who has a selection of front disc kits will have rear disc kits, too, but in normal driving it's a waste of money, and a lot of work.

3) I NEED POWER STEERING! Again a complete conversion kit. I see some that seem to be $500 while others are up to $1400. The parts look very simple to install, is this something I can do in my garage? Will it be too hard to do with the engine installed?
Power steering can be added with simple hand tools. OE PS will cost you around $1000, and the dealer I mentioned can put together a package for you. Anyone offering to do it for $500 is selling you substandard, generic, and used parts.

I live near Albuquerque, should I just find a shop to do this?
If you have the factory service manual (and you REALLY should) you can do this yourself.

boatillo,
The OEM style steering, 64 1/2 thru 70 absolutely sucks. I've been looking for a good/simple solution that doesn't involve huge $$$ or a rack & pinion with it's issues. This seems to be it: https://www.borgeson.com/catalog2/p...=1035&osCsid=4d8960c685f2158d4eaf8b8ffda93afe
Not sure if you have early or late 67 (sector shaft a different size) but same price either way. If you are at all mechanically inclined with some basic tools, you should be able to swap it yourself after you "borrow" a pitman arm puller from Autozombie or on of the the other perts houses that have tool loaner programs.
I agree whole heartedly that the 8" rear is fine for your situation, although if you are going to swap to Trac-Loc and new gears, I would have that done. Front disc brake conversion with a dual master cylinder is definitely one of the best safety/driveability upgrades you can do, but I think rear discs are a bit more than necessary considering the cost and other issues.
Good Luck
Gene

This is some great advice, I will definitely be keeping my 8" rear-end and doing that install myself.

For brakes I came across this today: Mustang Parts Ford: 64 - 73 Mustang and 67 - 73 Cougar,Mustang Brake Conversions,frontrearbrakeconversion

11" fronts should fit? free shipping too.

They also sell a steering kit: Mustang Parts Ford: 64 - 70 POWER STEERING CONVERSION KIT!,Mustang Steering Parts,powersteeringconversion

Free shipping again and it seems like an updated design over stock?

Now I am considering replacing all the brake lines to stainless steel at the same time.

boatillo,
The OEM style steering, 64 1/2 thru 70 absolutely sucks.

I disagree completely. Last summer I repaired half-a-dozen Mustangs with PS problems, and each and every one of them was the victim of

1) Crap generic hoses
2) Missing hose bracket
3) Missing tube clamp on valve body

Basically, it worked like crap because it was treated like crap.

The 63-82 Corvette had the exact same power steering as the 64-70 Mustang (I kid you not!) and I haven't exactly heard of a lot of complaints about twenty years of crap steering in Corvettes.

If people treated Ford engines the way they treat Mustang power steering, folks would think Ford engines were crap, too.

The Bendix power steering, with self-centering spool valve and servo cylinder is nearly identical to the flight controls on military aircraft. When serviced properly, it will be just as reliable.

One perfectly legitimate complaint about this system is the 800 psi pump supplies so much boost pressure that it reduces road "feel". Personally, my Mustang has manual GT 4-turn steering, and for many years I had the Shelby quick-steering kit as well.

If I am buying a complete brake line kit, would I want the one sold for OE manual drums, single exhaust, V8 like my car came equipped? Or the one sold for complete power disc V8?

hi, If you are wanting parts I would get them for the new mods you have done. For example if you up grade to disc in the front then I would get brake lines for a model that has the disc's. My 67 has a 302 V8 and front disc now so I get parts for a 68 model that had both from factory. You will need to change your proportional valve as well because your old one was for a drum/drum set up same with your master cyl. Now also would be to go with a power assist brakes too. I did all my mods at home in the garage, that includes the whole suspension, rear end, tranny and engine. My 67 was an early I6 with 8' brakes and I swapped it all over to V8 set up. So yes can do it.