Upgrades to 69 Engine and transmission.

kilgorq

Jul 19, 2006
Boise Idaho
I am looking for caveats, pros, and cons of this swap.

I have a 2000 Explorer with the 5.0 GT40P setup and 4R70W Transmission. I pulled the harness also.

I also have the engine and transmission out of a 1995 E150 5.8L with the E4OD (Overdrive C6) Transmission.

My Plan is to take the 5.8 and mate it up to the 4R70W. Sale the 5.0 Short block and the E4OD.

Here is the tentative plan.
GT40P heads (Or maybe a set of Promaxx, or AFR) I may run into budget constraints.
Edelbrock Super Victor EFI Intake Manifolds 29245 with fuel rails.
Edelbrock Victor EFI 4-Barrel Throttle Body 4150
Throttle Body elbo with piping to the MAF.
I am still debating on the CAM to use.
ECC-V engine management system from the Explorer.
Swap over the Reluctor wheel and Timing Cover for crank sensor.
Modify the Cam sensor to fit the 351W (Distributerless setup). Or find one that fits.
Use the 351w short block (it is in really good shape)

The goal is about 400 hp 400 ft lbs

A few issue I can see right off.

The GT40P headers issue. This is the reason I am thinking Promaxx or some other aluminum head. Plus I am not sure I can get 400hp out of the GT40P's
The transmission needs to be converted to 2WD from AWD. I have not found any good information on the conversion.
Not sure if the Reluctor wheel is a swappable part.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a long post about putting the Explorer engine in a '66. That may help on the mechanical installation side.

To use the Explorer coilpacks you have to use Explorer front dress so you have to add a hole in the front cover for a dipstick for the front sump pan. (see photo). You will also not be able to use the rear outlet Explorer a/c compressor(maybe in a '69?), you might get a Crown Vic compressor with top fittings, but at least in a '66 it will require shock tower mods.

I don't think you can easily convert an AWD/4WD trans to 2WD. Pretty sure the output shaft is different.

Attachments

• IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    630.4 KB · Views: 56
The Transmission is getting rebuilt with a stage 2 shift kit. If changing the output shaft is needed then it can be easily accomplished during the rebuild. The issue I am having is find consistent information on that changeover process. Some say cut the shaft other say it needs to be changed. There is so much conflicting information that I am not sure what one to trust. Or what parts I really need.

I am contemplating changing the coils to 1 per cylinder kind of like the LS motors are.

I am planning on going with the 351w. It is a stronger block than the 302 and I can get my goal power for less money.

I bought aluminum head. The Black Friday $350.00 discount made it a easy decision.

The accessories will be relocated based on best fit for the application. I will make my own brackets. Like the ones in this picture. I will probably use these and tuck the AC under the alternator. I will also use the remote reservoir power steering pump off of the explorer.

I will probably do the dip stick the same way you did in your picture.

Attachments

• 2012-08-04 15-44-13 - 0002_resize.JPG
    2012-08-04 15-44-13 - 0002_resize.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 62