So, This Engine Followed Me Home....

LX Dave

5 Year Member
Jul 2, 2017
I've been on the lookout for a set of GT40 heads and Explorer intake for the '87. The only thing I could find in the junkyards is the GT40P stuff, so I grabbed that stuff just in case. One day, I called one of the local yards as kind of a last resort, and low and behold, they had TWO running '96 Exploders in their other location. Long story short, I got a complete running engine for only $226 out the door.

Going to pull the stock Mustang engine this winter and set it aside. Right now, I have the Explorer engine pulled apart ready to go in for a rebuild. The plan is better cam, BBK 70mm throttle body, egr spacer and mass air block.

This car is pretty much just a toy. Weekend cruiser type, but would like to see a bit more performance. It also has a mass air conversion with the harness out of an '89. I am also getting the Trick Flow valve spring upgrade kit.

Here's my questions on this:

1. Can I get away with 19 lb injectors, or should I go up to 24 lb ones?
2. If 19 lb ones are fine, should I use the stock ones or the four hole ones off the Explorer?
3. For relocating the air injection into the heads, should I put tubes in the headers or H-pipe to use this system?
4. Camshaft? I heard a bunch of people say they like the TFS Stage 1 cam. Any other suggestions?
5. Anything else I should consider or do to this engine?

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

The 19 lb, 4 hole injectors from the Explorer will be your best bet.
Plan on new valve springs no matter what cam you chose.

94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. This is a direct one for one swap that does not require any tuning or programming, It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a flange adapter to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1 *2

*1.) Metal flange adapter http://www.kustomz.com/components.html Buy the TR70 for $40. Or spend some time on eBay looking for one that may fit.

*2.) MAF & sensor interchange
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.

Great info. There's a bunch of those cars you listed at the scrapyard I go to.

I do have a 70mm MAF that has an adjusting screw going through the passage for the sensor, but have no idea how to tune it, or what brand it even is. That one may be tossed in the scrap pile or sold really cheap.