Upgrading rear end

Nov 29, 2004
Ok from my research i have come to the conclusion that the only thing i need to upgrade from 28 spline to 31 spline rear axles is the 31 spline axle shafts and an eaton posi 31 spline differential. Is that correct?

• Sponsors (?)

if your gonna switch to a 31 spline setup then you need the following:

- axles
- diff
- axle bearings & seals (if you have high mileage)
- bearing and shim kit
- axle lube
- friction modifier
- studs
- ABS rings

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

MT1083 said:
if your gonna switch to a 31 spline setup then you need the following:

- axles
- diff
- axle bearings & seals (if you have high mileage)
- bearing and shim kit
- axle lube
- friction modifier
- studs
- ABS rings

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

All above is what I replaced but if you are careful you can remove the abs rings and reuse.. I like the Ford 31 spline unit , but I have also broken one of those with less than 250 rwhp. I haven't seen anyone ring off a 28 spline unit but if you are upgrading carrier and have the money the 31 splines are fine. I also rplaced the axle bearings, carrier bearings and seals at 20k when I did the rearend. If you don't have gears, now is the time to do it if you're in there. :D

Eaton posi's are the best. Nice straight launches and great traction. I was able to reuse my ABS rings, just be careful when removing them. Also reused my axle bearings.

Mosers%20Going%20In.jpg

Eaton%20In%20Diff.jpg

Attachments

• Mosers%20Going%20In.jpg
    Mosers%20Going%20In.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Eaton%20In%20Diff.jpg
    Eaton%20In%20Diff.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 99
my plans are to swap a 2001 engine and sometime down the road add a supercharger I wouls also like to be able to uae drag slicks at the track without worrying about my axles. Thanks for the replies.

Rocketman said:
Eaton posi's are the best. Nice straight launches and great traction. I was able to reuse my ABS rings, just be careful when removing them. Also reused my axle bearings.

Mosers%20Going%20In.jpg

Eaton%20In%20Diff.jpg
I think the same people who installed yours(That looks like XMP) steered me away from the Unit because the had said they were having to many fail and needing replacement from not so hard Usage, that was about this time last year.

Attachments

• Mosers%20Going%20In.jpg
    Mosers%20Going%20In.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Eaton%20In%20Diff.jpg
    Eaton%20In%20Diff.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 167