Used T5 Transmssion

nero6

Member
Aug 30, 2007
94
0
6
Hi, I need some opinions. I am having some issues with my T5 transmission in my 87 Mustang. I was going to have it taken out and rebuilt but I found a used one with 90,000 km for $380. The seller says that it shifted fine before it was taken out. How long does a T5 typically last before a rebuild is needed? I know it would depend primarily on how it was driven but on average how long? I am not sure if I should buy the used one or have my current one rebuilt. :shrug:
 
I was going to start a thread about buying a used t5. I was wondering if you could tell anything by removing the cover or anything like that before buying. I picked up a used one with the bell housing for $150. it has 79K miles on it. I just didn't want to go through all the trouble of converting to a t5 an have to turn around an pull it for service.
 
i recently found freshly rebuilt that has never been in a car for $380! I wouldn't put a 90K tranny in it... Look around you can find them for 300-600 rebuilt... look on craiglist etc...

I live in the middle of nowhere in Canada so anything I find on Craigslist would cost me a fortune in shipping. I found a rebuilt one about a 2 hour drive away but I was too slow in responding and he sold it. The price was $900. In Canada the prices seem to be much higher. I wish I could find a rebuilt one for $380 rebuilt, wow that is a steal around here. Most I have found were asking between $500 and $600 and that is used and not rebuilt.
 
I was going to start a thread about buying a used t5. I was wondering if you could tell anything by removing the cover or anything like that before buying. I picked up a used one with the bell housing for $150. it has 79K miles on it. I just didn't want to go through all the trouble of converting to a t5 an have to turn around an pull it for service.

You can tell a bit from taking the cover off, mainly if the gears are in good shape but would be hard to the shape of other parts like the syncos without really taking it apart.
 
Mine is starting to have cluster problems, I think the bearings may be going. I went to do a fluid exchange and it had maybe a half of a pint of fluid.. :nonono:

I heard it is expensive to rebuild a manual transmission because the parts are so much, so Idk if it would be cheaper to buy another one or to look for the parts to rebuild the one I have
 
Holy crap! $900 for a rebuilt? I need to jack my prices up! I've sold T-5's that I have rebuilt for $400 and sometimes feel guilty asking that!

I think a NEW T-5 is about $1000. I would never pay $900 for a rebuilt if i can get new for a few hundred more.
 
I heard it is expensive to rebuild a manual transmission because the parts are so much, so Idk if it would be cheaper to buy another one or to look for the parts to rebuild the one I have

Depends on what is wrong. Bearings are parts store bearings. As long as the hard parts are okay, a rebuild could be as little as $100.

I've rebuilt several on my own for $100-200 in parts.


Typically i get "bad" t-5's for free and put maybe $100-150 into it and sell them for $400.

Easy as hell to rebuild and you can get parts very easily.
 
I have a z spec trans that broke the input shaft and took out the cluster gear. I have about 550 bucks into it to get it back to working condition, bearing, synchrose, new gears and a cluster bearing support.
 
Holy crap! $900 for a rebuilt? I need to jack my prices up! I've sold T-5's that I have rebuilt for $400 and sometimes feel guilty asking that!

I think a NEW T-5 is about $1000. I would never pay $900 for a rebuilt if i can get new for a few hundred more.

A new T5 for me would be about $1800. For a rebuild around here it costs $250 for a rebuild kit plus of course the labour if you can't do it yourself. That is going on the asumption that all the gears are in good shape, if they are not the cost goes up from there. So $900 for a rebuilt T5 is not a bad deal where I live.
 
Hmmm Idk, I know its cluster shaft related cause it goes away in 4th gear.. Its like a whine noise, really noticable at 2200 rpm and just gets louder the higher the rpms go. The whine is what makes me think gear related, cause usually bearings are more of a growl I have been told :shrug:
 
If it's silent in 4th and loudest in 1st and reverse then it's usually the pocket bearing between the input shaft and mainshaft. When the t-5 gets low on fluid this bearing scores the mainshaft and creates whine.

You'll have to take it apart to see the damage, but you could need a new input shaft, mainshaft and the 16 roller bearings. Or the damage could be limited to only the mainshaft or input shaft
 
That sounds a little high. Is there a local Mustang club or anything around where you are? I found my WC T-5 on the local Mustang board for $250, zero mile rebuild. You have to kind of hunt for the deals!

I have been hunting and posting on local sites and the best deal so far has been $380 for the used T5. Guess I will keep looking for a bit and go with rebuilding my current T5 if I can't find anything.