V6 to 302 Swap Recommendations???

KGeeks1978

Jun 21, 2019
Maine
Hey all!!
So we decided to bite the bullet and do a swap with our 78 Mustang, the v6 is being swapped for a 302 and c4 transmission.
Any suggestions or things to watch out for??
Also, we ARE going to need to put on a new carburetor, does anyone have Recommendations for that?
Thanks !
IMG_20190610_201945_552.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

bite the bullet and do a swap

Right on and wecome aboard.

When you say get a new carb, it sounds like you have an engine to start with?

For New carb I have an Edelbrock 500cfm on another Mustang and it can sit for months and still work just fine, Love it.
Perfect for weekend street car with mostly stock small block 302/5.0 Ford.

Digging the White and Red!

Right on and wecome aboard.

When you say get a new carb, it sounds like you have an engine to start with?

For New carb I have an Edelbrock 500cfm on another Mustang and it can sit for months and still work just fine, Love it.
Perfect for weekend street car with mostly stock small block 302/5.0 Ford.

Digging the White and Red!
A 500 or 600 cfm Edelbrock is as good as it gets on a street-driven 302, when it comes to carburetors. To be honest, I almost wish I'd kept mine instead of installing MSD's "Atomic" EFI.

The hard part of a 302 swap is gathering all of the Mustang II-specific parts to make it fit a II. The motor mounts (both engine and frame side), exhaust manifolds (or headers), oil pan, bellhousing, torque converter, radiator, and flexplate are all II-specific.

Some of us have found work-arounds for the radiator and oil pan (a lot of front-sump 302 pans will fit with a little work, and I've personally made a Summit Racing universal aluminum radiator fit my car), but the rest is practically a must-have.

Check the II classifieds here, Ebay, Craigslist, Car-Part.com , and other forums, the parts show up from time to time.

Woohoo progress
At least some body is doing some thing!
Look at that empty engine bay so full of potential

Reactions: 1 user