• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Vacuum Advance/Oil pressure/Oil sender-Multi-part question

  • Thread starter Thread starter 66Dog&Pony
  • Start date Start date Jun 28, 2004
6

66Dog&Pony

Member
Apr 15, 2002
32
0
6
Greenville, SC
Jun 28, 2004
#1
  • Jun 28, 2004
  • #1
Hi all,
Thanks for all of your help in the past. As you can tell I am back for more.
My vehicle is a 66, 289, 2bb.
Part 1-While doing some clean up on the engine noticed that the vacuum line running from the advance to the carb had come lose from the connection at the carb. Don't know how long this has been so but car ran fine. I reconnected vac line and now car runs really rough when accelerating. Is this a timing problem?

Part 2-Oil pressure gauge shows pressure about half way between center and High. I know the sender most likely needs replacing (see part 3) but if I get the same results after replacing the sender, what could be causing this? By the way, engine doesn't smoke nor use oil.

Part 3-Where the heck is the oil pressure sender located?

Thanks as always!
 

MustangPaul

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2002
514
0
0
South East Louisiana
Jun 28, 2004
#2
  • Jun 28, 2004
  • #2
66Dog&Pony said:
Hi all,
Thanks for all of your help in the past. As you can tell I am back for more.
My vehicle is a 66, 289, 2bb.
Part 1-While doing some clean up on the engine noticed that the vacuum line running from the advance to the carb had come lose from the connection at the carb. Don't know how long this has been so but car ran fine. I reconnected vac line and now car runs really rough when accelerating. Is this a timing problem?

Part 2-Oil pressure gauge shows pressure about half way between center and High. I know the sender most likely needs replacing (see part 3) but if I get the same results after replacing the sender, what could be causing this? By the way, engine doesn't smoke nor use oil.

Part 3-Where the heck is the oil pressure sender located?

Thanks as always!
Click to expand...

#1--I would guess that your car was timed to run w/o the vac advance. I'd hook it up and retime it. I'll leave this for others who are much more knowledgeable than me to answer.

#2. That doesn't seem like a problem to me. The car isn't smoking or using, so why worry? You have pressure--good pressure--that is the true pressure (verified with another gauage). Maybe you have a high volume oil pump installed. I'd worry when the pressure goes out of the "normal" range, high or low.

#3 The sender is located on the driver's side of the engine, above the oil fliter. It looks like a small can on a metal shaft. The sender is the "can" and screws into a metal spacer that screws into the engine. You should have a contact on the end of the sender with a wire going to it. It should unscrew and come right out. No big deal. Easier to do with the filter out.

Enjoy your 'stang!

--Paul
 

gbarber

Member
Jan 26, 2004
158
0
17
delaware, ohio
Jun 28, 2004
#3
  • Jun 28, 2004
  • #3
I'll leave the timing answers to someone else. I have my own problems with my cars timing.
The oil pressure sender was bad on my car when I bought it. The gauge read extremely high. I have temperarily replaced the factory gauge with an aftermarket gauge. It reads in the normal range. I don't know that I would be overly concerned with your gauge reading middle to high, but it is a fairly cheap and simple repair to get peace of mind.
The oil pressure sender is located on the front drivers side of the block, next to the oil filter. There should be a wire running to it from the wiring harness running across the top of your engine.
 
M

mustangdave

My rearend needs a stud and two nuts.
Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
2,976
1
56
North Carolina
Jun 28, 2004
#4
  • Jun 28, 2004
  • #4
It sounds like your oil pressure is great. Usually when you have a problem, the gauge won't work at all or will be pegged on high. They're not expensive though so if it concerns you, pop off the wire, unscrew the sender with a couple of wrenches and replace it.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
01 mustang 3.8 fuel pressure issue
  • Mhaley2006
  • May 29, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
369
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 9, 2026
JohnKay
J
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
441
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
T
Help with a 95 5L crank no start
  • TheBubbaJoe
  • Nov 4, 2025
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
509
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Nov 5, 2025
AeroCoupe
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
219
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
S
Fuel ‘88 GT Runs Rich Cold — Fixes Itself When I Unplug Sensors (ECT, MAF, O2, etc.)
  • Sufarry
  • Nov 6, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
12
Views
997
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Nov 9, 2025
Mustang5L5
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?