Valve Cover Clearances

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I'm torn between two sets of valve covers, and trying to understand if i'll have any clearance issues with my setup (TFS170's w/Crane Gold 1.6's).

I like the set of TFS black covers, and I am going to assume these will clear. Increased height is a concern for me as I'm running a 3/8" spacer with my cobra intake, but can't go much more without needing a hood.
tfs-51411801_8052.jpg

TFS-51411801 valve covers
TFS-51400800 oil fill neck

But I've always liked these too. Description says these are taller, so I assume they will clear as well
s-l1000.jpg

M-6000-E302

Any direct experience or opinions on one over the other? Cost is about the same considering I need to buy the oil fill neck for the TFS covers and install it. Like I said before, I'm already running a 3/8" spacer on my Cobra intake, so they should be enough clearance I assume?

• Sponsors (?)

No experience with those particular valve covers but figured I'd throw my 2 cents in....maybe it will help.
I run stock valve covers w/baffles removed, no intake spacer, 1.6 Crane gold rollers on RHS200 heads
and have no clearance issues.

I know the tfs covers will clear, but you will need to drill for the oil fill/vent and there's no baffle.

Frpp ones (the short/efi-labeled ones) may need a little clearancing on the baffles but otherwise should work fine.

The tf heads do have the cover rail raised 1/4" or so above stock so that will help. May need to trim/fiddle with the throttle bracket as well depending on egr/tb spacer setup.

I knew i'd need to mess with the throttle cable bracket. I have access to a laser cutter and brake so i could just cut/bend myself up a custom setup if needed. Concerned more with clearance on the covers with the cobra intake plenum w/ 3/8" spacer.

Between the two covers, it's really more of personal preference. I actually planned on coating the cobra upper in black as well, so just trying to think which one supplements the look i am going for.

How difficult is installing the oil fill on the TFS heads? Does it need to be located in a specific spot to clear the rockers, or just drill where i please (within reason)

I currently run the Ford Racing ones with a Cobra intake and no intake spacer. You do have to enlarge the mounting holes in the TB bracket about 1/8" to clear but that's it. With a intake spacer you shouldn't even need to do that.

I would like to know what rockers will clear too. I have used the Ford Racing ones with the old Steeda 1.7 adjustable pedestal style rockers before and they clear after working on the oil baffle, but I have no clue if a stud mount rocker will clear or not.

Not sure if you are set on those 2 sets. But i have a set from my car that are brand new ive mounted on motor and only ran the car never drove. They are holley/ mr gasket baffled valve covers. The finish is black and looks awesome im starting to strip my car and sell everything to start the coyote swap.They clear my systemax with no issues and also my 1.6 comp roller rockers. If your interested let me know ill give you a great deal im located in new bedford ma.

https://www.holley.com/products/accessories/valve_covers/small_block_ford_valve_covers/parts/6846BG

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if you are set on those 2 sets. But i have a set from my car that are brand new ive mounted on motor and only ran the car never drove. They are holley/ mr gasket baffled valve covers. The finish is black and looks awesome im starting to strip my car and sell everything to start the coyote swap.They clear my systemax with no issues and also my 1.6 comp roller rockers. If your interested let me know ill give you a great deal im located in new bedford ma.

https://www.holley.com/products/accessories/valve_covers/small_block_ford_valve_covers/parts/6846BG
Those are good looking valve covers

5 yr old thread??
I've seen worse, sometimes, well, most times the OP does not post the resolution, they come here looking remedies and solutions mostly from a Google fu search, if lucky the member is still here and can answer, sadly mostly one hit wonders that found they left a wire off or used the wrong part and don't want to admit their problem was self inflicted.

Damn. I forgot I made this thread.

What I ended up doing was the Ford Racing valve covers. I had to remove the internal oil fill baffles and grind down the casting bosses on the inside to clear my Crane Gold 1.6 rockers.

For the intake, I needed a 3/8” spacer to allow the throttle bracket and the drivers side PCV fitting to clear

Should clear the stock hood. I say that because I have run the 3/8” spacer and this intake and it cleared fine. The only major change however is that I went from worn 1988 engine mounts to new energy suspension poly mounts. About to confirm if the stock hood still clears
97F3A5D0-5AED-44EE-854B-E9A811C30FB9.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Damn. I forgot I made this thread.

What I ended up doing was the Ford Racing valve covers. I had to remove the internal oil fill baffles and grind down the casting bosses on the inside to clear my Crane Gold 1.6 rockers.

For the intake, I needed a 3/8” spacer to allow the throttle bracket and the drivers side PCV fitting to clear

Should clear the stock hood. I say that because I have run the 3/8” spacer and this intake and it cleared fine. The only major change however is that I went from worn 1988 engine mounts to new energy suspension poly mounts. About to confirm if the stock hood still clears
97F3A5D0-5AED-44EE-854B-E9A811C30FB9.jpeg
Glad you are still around to follow it up. Those covers look good, but it sounds like a PITA install.

You would think that Ford would have modified those valve covers at some point so that they would clear roller rockers.

They clear some. For my stud-mounts the interference wasn’t on the rockers themselves, but clearing the actual tops of the studs. It’s was only 1 or 2 that actually made contact.

Pedestal mounts might be perfectly fine.

E0856020-4F08-4ABB-B17D-CE1C454E5EEA.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Here’s what hit. The boss along the center line was contacting. Like said, only 2 actually hit but I took my grinder and took down more than needed just to be sure. After grinding, need to really clean the shavings out.

D19594B1-A1F1-472B-AA6E-AD1FC72344DB.jpeg
B0F3CB67-2844-4F8A-8D29-D586A2017D89.jpeg

With a 3/8” intake spacer, here’s my clearance.

If i slotted the throttle bracket, and eliminated the PCV connection under the plenum, probably could have gotten away with no spacer.

57B224E7-7AE1-460D-A0E7-6E29FFED2975.jpeg
CE11FD1B-C9AC-4433-B3F2-D437427FABB9.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users