valve spring removal

goldbomb79

Jun 4, 2003
Indiana
Ok, I took my heads off to put new valve springs and valves, and so on. Well, I compressed the spring with a valve spring compressor, but this is where my problem begins. I thought that when you compressed the spring the valve should be able to be pushed up to take the keepers out so that the spring can be removed, but the valve won't move. I tapped on the sides of the rotator on the exhaust valve, but I still couldn't get any of them off. what am I doing wrong, and what do I need to do to get them off? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Take a socket about the size of the round flat part on top of the spring, then place it on top and hit it a few times hard with the hammer. This should compress the spring slightly and break any bond that the keepers might have developed. Then compress the spring and put a magnet up to the keepers. They should stick to the magnet and come right out. I didnt even have to touch the valve. You may have to maneuver them a bit to get them to come out from the hole that they are in, but they should come out. If they didn't, you didn't hit it hard enough.

Put wood block in the combustion chamber so that it fits up against the valve heads. Then place a socket big enough to clear the spring keepers on the spring retainer. Give the socket a sharp smack with a hammer. That will loosen the keepers enough that they can easily be removered when you use the spring compressor.

What kind of valve spring compressor do you have? I tried using one a shop I used to work at had, but it didn't work for crap. It was a little one that grabbed onto the valve spring itself, and compressed it up towards the keepers. I couldn't get the locks to budge at all. My friend had a compressor that went around the head and compressed the valve spring down. Worked like a charm. When I compressed the exhaust valves(I think), the locks came out right away. The intake valves needed some persuasion though with a hammer and a screwdriver. Just a few taps did the trick.

I have both and they work fine. I needed the ones that grab the spring to change the seals while the heads were still on the car, and i just did the socket+hammer thing and then set the compressors as far down on the spring as i could, then i compressed them pretty far and used one of my better magnets and the keepers just popped right out. You may have to tilt the spring a bit while its compressed to give the keepers room to come out.

nope, autozone and advance doesn't have it where I live. lol they might be able to get one, but if it's not on the shelf I try not to order it because they have some genious' that work there. lol but i'll check sears tonight