Vehicle fumes

folson

Jun 6, 2018
IL
Hey guys... Looking for some help on fumes.... The car when in the garage has fuel fumes. Found that the gas cap had no gasket (fixed) and the PCV valve was not secure on valve cover. (fixed) Filled the tank. Still have fumes but not as bad now. New gas tank, boot etc. No drips that I can see and find. Can the canister (charcoal) go bad? Also on this car 71 Mustang Base 302 on the valve covers there are two connector holes. The driver side front for PCV valve and the other passenger side rear open with a rubber grommet? Also I have an open Chrome breather vs the factory one. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I've seen carburetors where the float was either misadjusted or the float is not closing off completely and fuel will drip inside the carb for a while after being parked. you still have a slight pressure in the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb and if the needle on the float is scratched or just barely not sealing it will "dribble" fuel for several hours.

Tos; Thank You... So would the fix be to rebuild the carb? Or can this be something that is Ok even through the fume odor is there? I am just concerned that when winter comes and the garage being heated I'd have a bomb sitting there. Thanks

If it is actually the carb causing it, then yes rebuilding the carb would take care of that. It could just be gummed up so you might try adding some seafoam to your tank and see if it clears up after a tank or two. That stuff will clean up gummed up fuel systems pretty well. If you drive it regularly this might be something to try first.
If your garage heater has an open flame (pilot light or gas with ignitor) then there is a slight chance but It doesn't sound like you're building the volume of fumes to cause an explosion but better to error on the side of caution you know.

Tos and members. I'll try the Seafoam. I also checked the canister and when I tried to blow thru the line to the tank did not see or hear any air. Also blew in the canister and I did get air from one connector to the other out but the charcoal I guess could still be bad in the can right? The tank is new and the air vent connector is on top of the tank so I would have to drop the tank to check it. What a crazy situation.