Vehicle makes loud tractor like noise on startup sometime

Sovang

Dec 27, 2012
Sometime the 2000 Mustang GT makes a loud tractor noise when it starts up. It also leaks two different fluids on the ground at that time. Looks and smells like Oil. one brown and one red. So engine and tranny i suspect.

Anyway this only happens if the mustang has not been started for about 3- 7 days. What is the reason for this? Is this common?

• Sponsors (?)

I wish i did, I told my girl to try and record it next time. It is her car and she is almost terrified of driving it long distances because she does not trust it. I have worked on cars but never fords. This noise was something i have never heard before. It was out of this world to me.

it ticks like crazy and sounds almost like the hydraulic lifters are dry and just clacking away. It reminds me of when i replaced the entire head of a jetta. when i did not bleed in the lifters. but the mustang sounded so much worse.

it sounds like the oil draining back into the filter after sitting the timing chain phasers lost all the oil thats just what it sounds like to me also are you using a good filter with an anti drain back valve in it on oil changes not the junk fram filters
not sure about the leaks tho

Hmm. Not sure what to say about the oil leaking. And I wouldn't think it's the timing chains because the tensioners have a ratchet that keeps them from loosening. But the loud noise could easily be the lifters not fully pumped back up. When I put a new motor in my car back in 2011, I had the same thing happen. Since it was a junkyard motor, it had been sitting for at least several months. When I first started it up, it made an awful racket in the top end for about 20 seconds, then went away and has never happened again.

Here's something to try. The next time you try to crank it after it's been sitting for a while, first: mash the gas pedal all the way to the floor (and hold it there). Then try and crank it for a good 10-20 seconds. This will allow the motor to crank, but not start. If dry lifters are the issue, this should prime the oil back into the head and pump them up properly. Then start it the regular way and see if it still makes a racket.

The floored pedal/cranking is a great idea but so is the oil filter selection. Use Ford (motorcraft) oil filters because they have excellent drain back protection. On the Ford 4.9L the motorcraft is a must. Any other filter will cause the 4.9 to be loud at start up!

The floored pedal/cranking is a great idea but so is the oil filter selection. Use Ford (motorcraft) oil filters because they have excellent drain back protection. On the Ford 4.9L the motorcraft is a must. Any other filter will cause the 4.9 to be loud at start up!
x2 Change the filter to a Motorcraft. Check and top off the fluid and hose it off underneath. Then look later to see where it has been leaking. Try a piece of cardboard under the car to see where it drips and what the fluid is. Some coolants look like red or orange. Also auto trans, manual trans, or power steering can be red.