Vent controls not working

jbcollier

Mar 27, 2006
I have a question for some of you Mustang guru's. My girlfriend has an '01 V6 Mustang and the vent controls don't seem to work. Regardless of where it's set, it only blows out of the defroster or the defroster and floor. Nothing will blow out the vents in the dash. The air conditioning and heater work fine though. I'm not very knowledgeable on this, but I was thinking there was a little vacuum pump that controlled this under the dash. I found what looked to be it behind her glove box. Am I right in thinking this? If so can this be replaced without pulling the dash, and does anyone know the proper name or part number for it? If it's not this, what else could it be? Thanks for any help.

Justin

• Sponsors (?)

I picked up a Haynes manual for '94-'03 Mustangs but can't find anything in it talking about the controls for switching from vent to defrost, etc. Can someone point to where it is in the manual? I've been through it a hundred times. Thanks,

Justin

Wow. This issue is caused by a break in a vacuum line in the engine compartment, not the climate controls themselves. It's a classic issue on most 94+ Stangs, V6 and GT - not sure about 93 and earlier. The vacuum line runs along the firewall from the vacuum tree on the driver's side of the engine compartment all the way to the passenger's side. On that vacuum tree, it's the smallest vacuum line there. It's made of cheap plastic, so it tends to break easily. Check for any breaks or splits in that line.