Vert owners... If you could pick a cloth top or vinyl what and why?

• Sponsors (?)

When i did mine last year i had this discussion with my upholstry guy and i wanted a cloth top but he talked me out of it. He said cloth is nicer but needs to be replaced far more often. I went with a thicker better quality vinyl but i think i should have just did the damn cloth anyway....maybe some kid will slice my top :)

I went with a canvas top just for the "sex" appeal. It looks MUCH cleaner and real. It was only $300 more but it does require MUCH more attention. You need to water proof it and such so water beads off it instead of getting soaked THROUGH it. I found this out the hard way. lol

You wouldn't notice the difference like crazy, but it deff IS a difference. Any car enthusiast will right away point it out. But the average joe schmoe won't notice.

I have some pics around here somewhere....oh here they are:
CIMG1517.jpg

Cloth:
View attachment 448413

Vinyl:
CIMG1440.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG1517.jpg
    CIMG1517.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 87
  • CIMG1440.jpg
    CIMG1440.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 72
Cloth, absolutely. It looks much better and vinyl CRACKS especially when cold.

Another good debate is which color. White looks awesome but gets dirty. Black is cool but is kinda generic. Parchment looks ok but only with certain colors of paint.

When I get my top re-done it is going to be white cloth :drool:

Kilgore Trout said:

Another good debate is which color. White looks awesome but gets dirty. Black is cool but is kinda generic. Parchment looks ok but only with certain colors of paint.

No way not on a red car, heck not on any car imo. White tops are awful. Stick with either black or tan (preferrably black).

I'll be replacing the white top with tan when I need to but after 7-1/2 years under Vegas sun and Colorado winters, it's still like new (except the dirt.)

I'll be going canvas again but Tan...

212096827odUPZh_ph.jpg

Attachments

• 212096827odUPZh_ph.jpg
    212096827odUPZh_ph.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 76
Kilgore Trout said:

What color top do you have now? IMO tan looks best on Laser Red or Redfire.

Kilgore Trout said:
I have tan right now... My wife is dead set against white also :(

For as high quality as my top is...

and it still looks great after so long... it just gets these dirt/grease spots on the frame edges of the top that will not clean completely off.

Plus my top is bright white and it's a little too much. I'm going to go for tan and by then my rear bumper will be a Saleen bumper and eventhough I'd like some SS inserts to replace my white ones,

Packstips1.jpg

I don't know if I can get that bumper by them or anyone and have a "Mustang GT" insert on it. UNLESS... I have a hand painted "Mustang 'GT'" on the rear like the "Mustang" on the passenger dash.

LightbarandSignature800.jpg

Other than that I have nothing else in my car that keeps me with a white top, except for my pinstriping but thats going to change a bit. I'm still going to stay with a pinstrip after I put on my body kit this winter but I'm going to get the whole thing a fresh paint job and a hand drawn pinstripe. It will be a sign that I'm old school and you're messing with a blown old dawg... :D Then come the ghost flames to set her off. :SNSign:

She still won't be done. Headers, midpipe w/NC, LCA UCA, gears (maybe), cams, pistons, springs, rear seat delete... for a kick ass sound system... cha ching...! :bang: :rlaugh:

Attachments

• Packstips1.jpg
    Packstips1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 83
  • LightbarandSignature800.jpg
    LightbarandSignature800.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 68
I will be replacing my top soon. I will probably go with the original vinyl unless I find a good-looking, durable, water-proof cloth. I just don't need any water intrusion issues and the tan vinyl top is durable and easy to clean.

If and when it comes to replace my "sailcloth" vinyl top, I will certainly go with cloth.

Cloth was a standard upgrade on the Cobras, and the 40th Anniversary editions. Plus, cloth is now an optional upgrade on '07 convertibles. There has just got to be a reason for that!