vibration after MGW shifter install

LaFlavor

Sep 14, 2004
I just installed the MGW shifter in my '02, but the fit between the shifter and the plate that the inner boot bolts on was very tight. The shifter is actually kinda wedged underneath that plate, and now the car vibrates noticeably anywhere near 3000 rpms. My friend and I are guessing that this is just the normal drivetrain vibration being felt more noticeably since the shifter and that plate are touching, but I wanted to know if anybody has experienced this, be it the tight fit or the vibration. Also, did anybody try those gaskets that were mentioned a while back? Did they actually help reduce the noise?

• Sponsors (?)

You need to use pliers to bend up the metal around the shifter (the body, not the shifter)....before you put the inner shift boot back in. Contact George at MGW for more info. He's aware of it, and he's trying to get feedback about it. Let him know about it.

Thanks for the info, I feel less worried about it now.

I take it nobody has tried those gaskets? Oh well, they're not really that expensive, if the road noise starts to get on my nerves I'll get them.

LaFlavor said:
I just installed the MGW shifter in my '02, but the fit between the shifter and the plate that the inner boot bolts on was very tight. The shifter is actually kinda wedged underneath that plate, and now the car vibrates noticeably anywhere near 3000 rpms. My friend and I are guessing that this is just the normal drivetrain vibration being felt more noticeably since the shifter and that plate are touching, but I wanted to know if anybody has experienced this, be it the tight fit or the vibration. Also, did anybody try those gaskets that were mentioned a while back? Did they actually help reduce the noise?

the vibration should absolutely NOT be there. the problem lies with some cars not having the tranny moutned in the center of the cutout. i made my shifter thicker than others just for the sake of being extra beefy. not thinking that some cars would be so off center :(

you need to remove the console and look at where the shifter is touching. you can then just take a pair of pliers or vise grips and GENTLY bend up the metal around so that NOTHING is touching the shifter. also make sure you have the shifter stops installed correctly or removed completely including the screws .they are not really needed with a t56 or v3650 tranny.

you should notice the vibe go away. the mgw shifter itself should not have any vibrations like that. it is definielty rubbing.

please call me monday if you have any problems at all.

regards
george

706-793-1770

Thanks for the replies. I tried to bend the mounting plate around the shifter, but that thing is really stiff. As long as the vibrations aren't hurting anything, there isn't much more I can do.

LaFlavor said:
Thanks for the replies. I tried to bend the mounting plate around the shifter, but that thing is really stiff. As long as the vibrations aren't hurting anything, there isn't much more I can do.

IF YOU HAVE ISSUES WITH IT YOU CAN SEND IT BACK TO ME AND I CAN MACHINE THE BASE WHERE IT IS RUBBING FOR YOU.

LET ME KNOW :nice:

GEORGE