Vibration after Midpipe Install

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
After I put my Prochamber on this past weekend, I sometimes get a strange vibration coming from the front of the car, sounds like on the passenger side. It only does it if I turn to the left while braking, or if I back up a hill. It's an audible vibration, and you can feel it all in the car, not just in the steering wheel.

Anyone know what this could be? Anyone have Prochamber fitment issues? After I finished installing it, I didn't notice any fitment issues. And I checked for the wheel bearings (hands at 12 and 6 o'clock, no loose motion). Did the same for tie rods (9 and 3), and there was some lost motion in the left tire. But if that was the problem, seems like I would have noticed the vibration before the exhaust install.

And while I'm at it, I also have a strange noise that sometimes come from what sounds like the rear of the car. It's been doing it for a month or better now. It's a fairly loud, noticeable "thud", kind of sounds like someone hitting the wall in the room next to you. I've only noticed it do it when I'm at a complete stop, like sitting at a stop light. I heard it the other night when drying off my car, nearly a minute after I turned the engine off. I haven't the slightest idea what would cause a noise like this.

Anyone have an idea of what could cause either of these noises?

Thanks.

-Will

• Sponsors (?)

:OT: but where's the sound clip:D

Haha. I was really busy this past weekend and never got around to it, and there aren't any good places here at school in the big city of Raleigh to do it. I'll be back home this weekend and I promise I'll make one then. :D And man, I do love it! Great tone, not too loud, not too quiet, and it SCREAMS at WOT! :nice: I've fell in love with my car all over again.

Anyone got any insight on the original post?

-Will

well from personal experience, i had a slp catted x pipe installed on my 1998 GT coupe. I took it around the block and drove it for a day or two. Any every time i started from a dig or gave it some gas around a turn, i would hear a rattling noise. I was right there the entire time for the install at the shop. I took it back.... turns out the x pipe on the drivers side was resting too close. I dont remember exactly what the pipe was hitting, but we repositioned it using a pry bar and being very careful. After we got the adjusted location we tightened the clamps back. This doesnt sound like the same problem, or even the same location of the sound, but hey something to think/try instead of sitting around with the prob. Hope it helps and get a clip up....

well from personal experience, i had a slp catted x pipe installed on my 1998 GT coupe. I took it around the block and drove it for a day or two. Any every time i started from a dig or gave it some gas around a turn, i would hear a rattling noise. I was right there the entire time for the install at the shop. I took it back.... turns out the x pipe on the drivers side was resting too close. I dont remember exactly what the pipe was hitting, but we repositioned it using a pry bar and being very careful. After we got the adjusted location we tightened the clamps back. This doesnt sound like the same problem, or even the same location of the sound, but hey something to think/try instead of sitting around with the prob. Hope it helps and get a clip up....

+1, I have had this happen a number of times. I would bet that your pipe is hitting the car over the back axle on the passenger side.

Just ran into this with mine. My passenger side pipe was hitting where the two lower k member bolts are. I loosened it all up and adjusted with a pry bar, i also left the pry bar in between when i re-tightened. Problem sovled!

Also sounds like your rear pipes may be touching when the suspension is moving. I also had this issue with the pypes catback im running. I just jacked the back up and put the rear end on jack stands. If possible have a friend simulate the car moving up and down and see if its close anywhere. Mine was hitting on the upper control arms on the passenger side and on the drivers side it was up against the tank cover.

Hope this helps. :nice: