• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Vibration after new clutch

  • Thread starter Thread starter nipple_looker
  • Start date Start date Sep 20, 2026
  • Tags Tags
    clutch sn95 5.0
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,498
5,489
194
Corn County USA
Saturday at 12:05 AM
#21
  • Saturday at 12:05 AM
  • #21
FastDriver said:
Following. I have the same symptoms. Thinking of pulling it all apart tomorrow. Hope its simple, like a pilot bearing in my case.

How does one properly measure end play in the input shaft? Also, no one answered his question about how it could be the input shaft if the input shaft is stationary while getting the vibration, i.e. clutch pedal pressed, trans in gear. So, the input is not spinning, nor is the clutch disk, and if the snout is in the pilot, I don't understand how it would be the source of what feels like a balance problem.

If I go in that far, and I find myself in your shoes, without any obvious clue, I'm taking my stuff to a mchinist to check the balance.
Click to expand...

If the pilot bearing is off center or egg shaped, the input shaft will not spin concentrically. Once you remove the input shaft from the equation, the pilot bearing has nothing to spin elliptically to give those vibrations.

As for measuring end play you'll need a dial indicator, an indicator stand, and some way to secure the transmission to ensure it doesn't move while you physically push/pull the input shaft while watching the indicator. Without having specs in front of me, I'd suspect that you don't want more than .001-.003 fore/aft movement.

(Just found this short video - apparently it's .001-.005)

View: https://youtu.be/hpd4IBpLk8o?si=X_duFbbqV5jGwVq9
 

FastDriver

I was uncomfortably high & wearing a helmet
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
6,145
2,762
224
Vass, NC
Saturday at 12:36 AM
#22
  • Saturday at 12:36 AM
  • #22
Oh... I was thinking it meant up/down/left/right play. So, fore/aft endplay. Dammit, I'm really trying to say this without getting a CT. Anyways, I dont think I can set something that up without buying more equipment than I really need to have. I guess I can try to set up a dial indicator and trying to do it by hand. Seems sloppy, but might give me an idea if it's way out of line.
 

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,137
4,224
183
Claremore, OK
Saturday at 9:35 AM
#23
  • Saturday at 9:35 AM
  • #23
I made a steel plate that bolts to one of the trans to bell housing bolt holes and that is what the magnetic base of the dial indicator attaches to. Pop to top cover off the trans and then use a small pry bar to move the input shaft outward and inward and that gives me the end play. You will need some shims for the bearing race in the input shaft bearing retainer.
 
F

fasterthangas

Active Member
Oct 5, 2016
270
79
38
Phoenix
Saturday at 12:05 PM
#24
  • Saturday at 12:05 PM
  • #24
I fought this with my '95 and it ended up being the T5. It had a bent internal shaft. It shifted fine but vibrated worse, the faster I drove.
 
Reactions: General karthief
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

C
Help with manual conversion
  • CPH89LX
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
20
Views
447
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 27, 2026
2000xp8
S
Drivetrain 8.8 Pinion and 302 rear main seal leaks after replacing. 93 5.0 with t-5
  • Steigy4827
  • Jun 23, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
772
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 1, 2026
Steigy4827
S
J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
816
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
P
2002 T5 transmission vibration issue
  • puffoo
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
234
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Feb 22, 2026
puffoo
P
S
Car shakes when taking off help???
  • STANKYstangs
  • May 10, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
12
Views
425
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 27, 2026
LILCBRA
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?