vibration through shifter....Driveshaft??

VIPERn94Five-0

Founding Member
Apr 28, 2002
Poughkeepsie, NY
i rarely push the pedal to the floor in my car, most of my friends say i drive like a grandma well anyways, tonight it was VERY cool, and not so humid while i was on the way home from my girlfriend's house....so i pull onto this real nice 3 lane in each direction closed course ( :nice: :rlaugh: ) i have by my house and and let her rip, traction was an issue(even with slipping the clutch at 3k i just blew the tires off (not saying thats a bad thing) and wind it out...and i notice a pretty decent vibration through the shifter....i know ive heard plenty of times that the stock driveshaft usually causes this and an aluminum one will normally fix it....am i right in thinking thats what it probably is??...ive probably never noticed it before cuz i RARELY push the car since one of my buddies died a few months ago in a street racing accident :( ....but anyways boy did she feel fast in the cool air tonight....felt like i had one of those whatca call it, ah yes those 351's :banana: :spot: ....then then unfortunatly i remembered i didnt have one :bang: ....

.....now that you probably lost the question i was asking in that horribly written mess. vibration through shifter at mid to upper rpms ?? usually an aluminum driveshaft will fix it correct???

Anthony

• Sponsors (?)

normal (within reason) with aftermarket shifters. if you dont feel any vibes at idle while revving (balancer rule out), then i would look at mounts and the DS.

i dont rev mine much, and it feels like im turning about 10K rpm if i take it to 4K. LOL. i know what you mean.
BTW, your avatar does not support your "i drive like a granny" claim. :)

my two cents. good luck.

if its your ballancers its going to feel like the car is going to shake itself apart when it starts to vibrate. Check your ballancer and see if there is any rubber peices comming out of it, if so then its trash. If it is your driveshaft then prob your U Joints are gone, at higher speeds ( 50-60 ) my shifter would shake like crazy b/c my U joints were gone. I put in an FMS AL Driveshaft and it cured the prob (since they come w/ new U joints ) sucks though b/c FMS AL Drive shafts went up from $150 to $250 in the past few months. Glad I got mine when I did.

It's quite possible that your factory D/S threw a weight(thats what happened with mine), I would check that as wel as checking the uni's. Even with the price increase on the aluminum D/S its still better than having a shop rebalance your factory one.

well...there is quite the difference in opinion...its just in the shifter that i can feel...nowhere else...i thought i always heard vibration through the shifter was driveshaft, but idk....AHH!!

Jake is there any weight to the first opinion posted? about free revving?? if there is no vibration there then its not the balancer??
Anthony

When I had this problem I could rev the car to 6k and not feel any vibration, but as soon as it was in gear and above 3k rpms I got a little vibration through the shifter. If the vibration only comes at certain speeds, then it's probably the DS. But if it's rpm dependent it's definitley something like the balancer, flywheel, pressure plate or something.

Jake

GTJake said:
When I had this problem I could rev the car to 6k and not feel any vibration, but as soon as it was in gear and above 3k rpms I got a little vibration through the shifter. If the vibration only comes at certain speeds, then it's probably the DS. But if it's rpm dependent it's definitley something like the balancer, flywheel, pressure plate or something.

Jake
grr...looks like i may be sending you the MO then huh??.....that sucks cuz its right around 3k like yours was lol....i didnt see anything sticking out of the balancer while i was down there...but maybe i should have a look again....and its something that is going to have to be done eventually anyways....now here is the catch....currently i have the cash to do one or the other (balancer or DS) if i do the balancer, and it turns out to not have been the problem, and the driveshaft is the culprit...are there any serious problems that can arise from the driveshaft??

oh and btw its for sure NOT speed dependent..its RPM dependent...if i go to 3k in 2nd it will vibrate through the shifter...throw it in 3rd, going same speed...no vibration....

Anthony

Anthony, that is what i was talkin about in my first (and only) post. the other guys have given you great info on narrowing it down (it was not that we had differing opinions, but that we needed more info).

sounds like the balancer. you can also toss a timing light on - if the outer ring slipped, it may show you are running insane timing (ring slips and thus moves the timing marks).

good luck.