Viper 791xv alarm with remote start

savegoodautonfg

May 11, 2005
I work at best buy and i can get this for a good price i was interested in installing it. i can install the alarm no problem as long as its not alot different then other brands. also how hard is it to install the remote start in my 90 mustang with manual tranny.

in general, is it hard to install the complete alarm/remote start in my 90 mustang gt 5.0 manual tranny.

Thanks alot guys..

• Sponsors (?)

You'll need to make sure that the remote start doesn't work when the transmission is in gear. Since you will need to have it work with out the clutch pedal pressed in then you will need to bypass the clutch safety switch. This means it is absolutely necessary to have a neutral safety switch otherwise its attack of the runaway mustang. Trust me, my buddy ran over his foot trying to stop his car after he did that.

T-5 trannys have a neutral safety switch plug hanging from the tailshaft of the tranny. In order to insure that your car won't start in gear, you'll need to use that switch with the remote start system. The 791VX has a black/white wire that needs to be grounded in order for the remote start to work. The NSS has two wires. One wire needs to be spliced into the black/white wire from the remote start and the other wire needs to be tied to ground. I did this with my car and it works perfectly.

Thanks for the info man

i dont know what the neutral safety switch looks like also also how am i suppose to run a wire to the nuetral safety switch under the tranny?

Also,

"One wire needs to be spliced into the black/white wire from the remote start and the other wire needs to be tied to ground. I did this with my car and it works perfectly."

The NSS wire needs to be spliced into black/white wire and what do you mean TIED to ground?.

Also you and bullitstang gave me kind of 2 different answers.

They were talkin about two different aspects. The clutch safety switch (why you push the clutch in, in order to start the car) and the NSS switch (to ensure you dont start in gear) are different.

HISSIN50 said:
They were talkin about two different aspects. The clutch safety switch (why you push the clutch in, in order to start the car) and the NSS switch (to ensure you dont start in gear) are different.

SO what do i do with them? how do i wire them up for the remote start. please explain

bullitstang1313 said:
You'll need to make sure that the remote start doesn't work when the transmission is in gear. Since you will need to have it work with out the clutch pedal pressed in then you will need to bypass the clutch safety switch. This means it is absolutely necessary to have a neutral safety switch otherwise its attack of the runaway mustang. Trust me, my buddy ran over his foot trying to stop his car after he did that.

How do you bypass the clutch safety switch?

savegoodautonfg said:
How do you bypass the clutch safety switch?
locate the clutch safety switch and splice a wire before and after the switch provide current without using the switch. The clutch safety switch should be by the clutch pedal under the dash I assume - I've never had to mess w/ it.

The neutral safety switch is located near the front of the transmission where it bolts to the bellhousing and it's actually threaded into the top cover. I unplugged mine and my car started in and out of gear, so hopefully yours actually works.

TheUser said:
locate the clutch safety switch and splice a wire before and after the switch provide current without using the switch. The clutch safety switch should be by the clutch pedal under the dash I assume - I've never had to mess w/ it.

The neutral safety switch is located near the front of the transmission where it bolts to the bellhousing and it's actually threaded into the top cover. I unplugged mine and my car started in and out of gear, so hopefully yours actually works.

"locate the clutch safety switch and splice a wire before and after the switch provide current without using the switch"

THATS really confusing man. i read somewhere else on the forum about the CSS that you its two different connections and u can take the wires and splice them all together.

If it's easier to think about: For the CSS, you'd very likely splice the wire from your alarm into the starter wire between the CSS and the solenoid. This could be at the starter solenoid itself or anywhere in between the solenoid and CSS.

My recollection was just like what James said, with the NSS being on top of the trans, at the front. I personally think using that thing is kinda hinky. If you have the NSS and it works consistantly, I suppose you could use it. One of the installers can tell ya if they still sell aftermarket switches.

Good luck.

savegoodautonfg said:
I looked right above the clutch for 10 minutes today and i can't find the clutch safety switch.
Lool at the clutch pedal. Now look up the arm of the clutch pedal. The switch is on the back side of the arm (there are two switches on the arm, IIRC).

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Lool at the clutch pedal. Now look up the arm of the clutch pedal. The switch is on the back side of the arm (there are two switches on the arm, IIRC).

Good luck.

I looked up there and I saw the grey switch that has two seperate switches going into something. I pulled one out and it had tons of wires on the back of it.

I found this picture on the web. Is this what your talking about?

clutchbypass.jpg

That looks like it if that white rod touches the floor when the clutch is depressed (it's been years since I messed with that switch).

For the CSS, there are two terminals but one terminal has two wires in it, IIRC. When you disconnect it and push the clutch and try to start the car, it wont start.

HISSIN50 said:
That looks like it if that white rod touches the floor when the clutch is depressed (it's been years since I messed with that switch).

For the CSS, there are two terminals but one terminal has two wires in it, IIRC. When you disconnect it and push the clutch and try to start the car, it wont start.

Hissin, bro you got me real confused.

In that picture the right hand side of it that big gray switch thing. is that it or no. if it is'nt what is? when i looked up there tahts all i saw.

That looks like the switch to me. There should be two sets of red wires on either end of the switch. You just run a jumper wire from one set of the red wires to the other set, if I remember correctly.

I agree - from my memory that's the switch. You noted the two sets of connectors that go into the switch. Only one is the CSS and you need to check which one is for the CSS (the other one is for the CC IIRC).

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
I agree - from my memory that's the switch. You noted the two sets of connectors that go into the switch. Only one is the CSS and you need to check which one is for the CSS (the other one is for the CC IIRC).

Good luck.

yea i saw two sets of connectors that go into that switch. for one how do i find out which one is the CSS and wit the other one what do i do with it?