Vortech air inlet through shock tower and fender

Foot Hill

Dec 9, 2014
Here is my issue. Note position of 90* inlet pipe that has to enter fender well but goes through small section of shock tower in my 65 fastback The powerpipe is 4” dia and I’m thinking of cutting @5” hole and welding in section of 4.5-4.75 Id. Pipe and trimming it to fit the curve transaction between fender and shock tower Just never seen that done and wondering if it should work of any other suggestions?
D2DBD3D0-7052-4041-B689-8607E7381A64.jpeg
A929FCA1-8CF4-4F41-94AB-F5282A79A4EA.jpeg
9864705B-D4C0-411B-A696-71FF20E29252.jpeg
2B968E79-A93F-4298-A5A3-D090CFC69B4A.jpeg
B764288E-9AB1-49ED-A989-2103A1CB05C9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sponsors (?)

A 65 fastback with a supercharger on it will be one mean ride! Your saying that you are going to weld in a section of pipe to help support the shock tower and fender. I dont see how it would compromise the tower. It's not like you are cutting a big hole in it and not supporting it.

I see that you have converted to coil over suspension. I've seen where people convert the front suspension and completely remove the shock towers.

This is just my opinion based on no real world experience.

Yes, I have coil overs so no upper control arm. And your totally right in that I could actually remove larg amount of my shock towers to help with clearance of headers and make spark plug changes easier lol.
I’m just wondering if anyone has experience with cutting hole in greatly changing angles and how that Turned out.
Also I’m sort of afraid to cut into my car. Just because.... it’s a big deal to me.
I was originally wanting to modify it just enough that I could go back to stock if I or next owner (hopefully by 5 year old son ) wanted too.
But it’s mine now. So I think I’m going to make it mine and cut away.
I think it will actually loook pretty good if the hole is lined with thin wall pipe and everything is ground to match contours.
In other words you won’t actually see a pipe. Just a pass through hole supported by pipe.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand the hesitation to start cutting on the car. It would make me very nervous.
I've got a 65 that has been passed down to me from my dad. It's a basket case project at the moment. I'm looking forward to putting back together with my 3 year old son. I hope to pass it down to him one day as well.
Good luck with the fabrication! Do you have a build or progress thread going on this car?

“Do you have a build or progress thread going on this car?”

Now that I think about it. I think I do!?
If so I really need to update it lol.
That would probably help to keep me organized and focused (something I’m not really good at)
Going to check if I’ve posted on this forum a build thread now.

How cool you have your dads mustang!
My 6cyl 65 coupe was gifted to me my by grandfather when I was 12 and that car will go to my 9yo daughter
My 5yo son will get my fastback/when I’m ALL done with it ;)

• Loved It!
I do have a progress thread going. This is it.

Not a lot going on with it at the moment. I'm currently trying to get my Fox to a stopping point, or at least a point that I'm so focused on it. Here is the thread to that one.

Looking back at your post you were just responding to my question. You get links to my junk anyway! lol

Thanks. Yes. I had my build thread going but it had been a while so since you reminded me about it I’ve been slowly adding to it to keep it up-to-date I just have a few minutes today to add to it so that’s what I’ve been doing
I had an 89GT few years out of high school about 25 years ago and took that car to the local drag strip quite a bit
fell in love with the fox body engine and all the available upgrades so that’s why am putting that in my 65 fastback
There may be better ways of making power but I’m just doing what I want and with what I’m familiar with
That’s cool you have a classic and a fox body

The hole with support ring is sounding ok but too bad you can't pipe it to front of car instead for a ram air effect (I know you no need with blower but)

Got this finished
Thanks for all the help and suggestions
I ended up using to 90° elbow’s couple together and made up a mass air meter support to basically mount mass air meter and filter to the engine to keep it from shaking too much had to do a light trim on fender apron that I
Covered with vacuum hose
I think it worked out well
144B1D07-BF8D-4EEC-9774-159DA8F039B9.jpeg

Attachments

• 62227F00-15B6-4B29-BE45-FE414A622738.jpeg
    62227F00-15B6-4B29-BE45-FE414A622738.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 008C424D-47FC-496E-949F-D6A9C48EBD4A.jpeg
    008C424D-47FC-496E-949F-D6A9C48EBD4A.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 3A4EE10A-2421-4601-8CA3-71D631A8D2D1.jpeg
    3A4EE10A-2421-4601-8CA3-71D631A8D2D1.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 610857AA-DA0E-461B-8FEB-8546B7DD848D.jpeg
    610857AA-DA0E-461B-8FEB-8546B7DD848D.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 113
Why didn't you just put the filter under the fender since you ended up cutting the apron and tower anyway? Might as well get actual cold air instead of lukewarm engine bay air if you are cutting anyway....the rule of thumbs is 2" airflow loss for every 90 degree turn air has to make. I don't know what filter you are using...but ones with an open front cone flow the best...and if that is an open front cone, its not getting any airflow there unless you cut open the radiator support to more than just the factory slots. Also(late to this thread obviously) couldn't you have clocked the 90 degree elbow coming off the blower lower and end up with enough room at a 45 degree angle rather than 90 to avoid cutting to start with? Don't take it as criticism, just wondering as to the reasons.

Why didn't you just put the filter under the fender since you ended up cutting the apron and tower anyway? Might as well get actual cold air instead of lukewarm engine bay air if you are cutting anyway....the rule of thumbs is 2" airflow loss for every 90 degree turn air has to make. I don't know what filter you are using...but ones with an open front cone flow the best...and if that is an open front cone, its not getting any airflow there unless you cut open the radiator support to more than just the factory slots. Also(late to this thread obviously) couldn't you have clocked the 90 degree elbow coming off the blower lower and end up with enough room at a 45 degree angle rather than 90 to avoid cutting to start with? Don't take it as criticism, just wondering as to the reasons.

Thanks for the suggestions
No criticism taken at all.
And I really appreciate your time taken to help!

I originally wanted to install Anderson power pipe just as the fox body’s were.
I actually purchased the $250 kit as I figured if I had it in hand I’d surly be able to install.
The longer/closer I looked at it the more I realized it wasn’t going to fit without a major mod to the apron and tower.
The power pipe also has a 90* bend (although larger radius) and I would then have to deal with shrouding filter for water protection.
I was wondering (worried) about the loss of flow with the two tight 90 deg bends.
This just ended up making more sense to me and the mass air meter and filter fit nicely where the stock battery once resigned.

My air filter is not an open front style
I have seen those and might look into something like that.
As far as getting cold air to this filter I might consider drilling a circle of 1 to 1 1/2 inch dimpled holes in radiator core support around filter circumference.