Vortech Supercharged guys here.... Having Oil problems still...

Sinister SN95

Jun 3, 2002
Rewind, 2 months ago, My head unit was sent back to Vortech to be rebuilt because the front seal was shot.

Last night, I was cleaning under the hood and noticed the rubber elbow between the powerpipe-and-Vortech head unit came loose on the bottom… so I went to tighten the clamp and noticed, there was a small puddle of oil sitting in there again, less than last time, but still… oil in my powerpipe.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what it could be?

The only connections to the powerpipe are:

1. Bypass

2. the two hoses from either side of the valve covers, but both of them have oil separators on them

3. the Vortech head unit which was rebuilt 2 months ago.

So one of those has to be the culprit, and I just don’t know what it could be. Is it possible the bypass valve is shooting some oil into the powerpipe? But even if it is, would it be able to travel up there to the top of the pipe and sit in the rubber elbow?

Is this just something that can happen with a vortech and I shouldn’t worry?

• Sponsors (?)

Oil will get past the oil separator, you'd be surprised. If you don't believe me, try putting a fuel filter after the oil separator, and see how much oil it collects. You can get cheap "see-through" Purolator fuel filters at Pep Boys for a few bucks.

But it is possible that vorech fuucked up and the seals still leak. I would clean up the oil, remove the valve cover hoses from the powerpipe, run the car and see if oil still collects there. That would narrow things down.

Oil will get past the oil separator, you'd be surprised. If you don't believe me, try putting a fuel filter after the oil separator, and see how much oil it collects. You can get cheap "see-through" Purolator fuel filters at Pep Boys for a few bucks.

But it is possible that vorech fuucked up and the seals still leak. I would clean up the oil, remove the valve cover hoses from the powerpipe, run the car and see if oil still collects there. That would narrow things down.

No kidding!? Weird, my oil separators on both lines really don't collect anything... is it still possible its just blowing by the separators completely?

is there any way oil may be coming in through the bypass valve?:shrug:

I am just putting breathers on mine. Im tired of messing with it...

I dont have an oil build up in my powerpipe, but i have a drop in my SC intake and a drop on my output. It sucks that everyone is having problems with vortech, when they used to be bullet-proof.

OP- I'd run breathers and see what happends.

Thanks for the replies guys, feel alot more confident. Really never would have expected oil to be getting in there, just gotta watch it and make sure it doesnt drip down onto my MAF and air filter

It's not a "normal" problem. My blower inlet is very clean, but I don't have it sucking on the passenger side valve cover either. In your case its either blowby oil from the the valve cover or its from the blower seals. I would determine the cause and fix the problem, unless you like oily messes.

I had the same problem, I just sent off my unit to get rebuitl to vortech last week. I had a good amount of oil collecting in the power pipe coupling. I don't know how much is normal but I cant imagine that it can be good for the motor to be sucking in oil... Is it?

It's not a "normal" problem. My blower inlet is very clean, but I don't have it sucking on the passenger side valve cover either. In your case its either blowby oil from the the valve cover or its from the blower seals. I would determine the cause and fix the problem, unless you like oily messes.

how do you have yours setup? reason i ask is because iam installing a vortech on my car soon. thanks

how do you have yours setup? reason i ask is because iam installing a vortech on my car soon. thanks

Here's a good thread that shows various set-ups: http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=732890

I have my driver's side valve cover vent connected to the power pipe, with no catch can. That line is dry.

The passenger side vent goes to a catch can then to the intake manifold (basically, the stock configuration plus a catch can). That line collects oil.

Evenually, I might ditch the catch can and just vent both valve covers. Oil sucked into the intake manifold mixes with the fuel and can effectively cause the A/F to run lean.

I've been reading alot, and seems like alot of guys put in a catch can to alleviate all of the oil problems.

Anyone have any pictures of this installed and what lines it is supposed to go through?

And a link where I can buy one from? :nice:

I tee both covers to a vented catch can with pcv valve gutted and everything else plugged.

I have had 3 motors in this car the stock one, a brand new stock one after that, and now a forged engine. First one blew, the second I still use the heads off of, and sold the shortblock. It's still used and drag raced in a 95 T-bird. All would put oil in the power pipe if only using separators.

Even without excessive blow by, some oil mist gets through. Especially after the little element inside the separator gets saturated. All motors have some blow by and just spinning them at several thousand RPM's kicks up of bunch oil, then your SC is sucking it out.

Have you guys every seen the inside of an intake on a stock motor after 50 k there's always s few Oz's oil in it. If you have the pcv system hooked up in the stock set up there will be some oil mist that gets through

This what I use it's a 1QT vented catch can

pcv4.jpg

PCV5.jpg

PVC5.jpg

A link to it.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G1504&N=700+0&autoview=sku

sum-g1504.jpg