Forced Induction Vortech V-3 Si Trim Tuning / Injector Size Help!

HorsepowerX

Jan 10, 2011
I have a 1993 coupe that I bought back in 1995. It was originally built by Lido at Alternative Performance in Michigan and had a Vortech Si-Trim. I ended up blowing the motor due to a faulty ignition retard and bad fuel. I ended up selling the blower to pay for a new motor, because it was my daily driver.

(10yrs later) Today....I received my brand new Vortech V-3 Si Trim supercharger! Everything is still the same set up as before except for the 24lb fuel injectors and GT-40 block. The original set up from Alternative Performance was the Si Trim with a 70mm Mass Air meter calibrated for 24lb injectors, but had 42lb injectors. It ran fine with the blower, but bad with out it. I ended up buying 24lb injectors for running without the blower.

My questions are: 1) What size fuel injectors should I buy, 2) what fuel pressure/timing should I start with, 3) do I need to use the FMU, and 4) does anyone know a place in MI that does tunes for a reasonable price and actually answers the phone?

The original set up didn't have an FMU. I will eventually take it to a shop for a tune, but I was hoping to be able have everything ready to go, which includes injectors. I appreciate any feedback.

My mods are listed below (Bare with me this is from memory and it’s been a while since I've listed everything)

GT-40 block bored .006 over (new)
GT-40 iron cast ported heads
Cobra Upper and GT-40 Lower Ported and polished (port matched)
65mm Throttle body
70mm Mass Air meter calibrated for 24lb injectors
1.6 roller rockers
E303 cam
155lph in tank fuel pump
T-Rex Fuel pump
There are other cooling and suspension upgrades.

The original set up didn't have an FMU. I will eventually take it to a shop for a tune, but I was hoping to be able have everything ready to go, which includes injectors. I really really appreciate any feedback!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm hoping that you mean 255lph in tank pump and not 155?

With that out of the way, 42 lb injectors and meter is my recommendation. I wouldn't even consider bolting the FMU up and would just have the car custom tuned. If you're having a chip burned for the car 10 degrees of base timing and 40lbs of fuel pressure is where I would like to see things. Lidio is great at what he does, I know that they get backed up from time to time and have seen people wait for a few weeks to get into the shop for a tune. If you can't get a hold of them calling the shop you may want to consider messaging them on Facebook, I know with the new age of social media that they monitor that very regularly and should promptly get back to you. If you have trouble after that let me know and I can shoot an email over to their shop for you, I've dealt with Jake in their shop last few years and they always get back to me in a day or so. As far as other tuners in your area I really don't know, Alternative Auto has a great reputation and proven results.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the feedback! It is very helpful. Yes you are correct. It is a 255lph in tank pump. Sorry its been a while since I've had to think about my fuel system. My car was perfect when I originally got it. I didn't want to stray away from the setup orgionally done by Alternative. I will try and message them on Facebook. If that doesn't work I will let you know. Thank you again for the helpful advice!

Listen to Nick. 24# injectors are way too small for a power adder. Go with at least 42# injectors, get rid of the FMU, and get a tune.

Remember, you can run rich all day long on a blown car, but lean ONCE.

Nick (84Ttop),
I can never get a hold of anyone when I call. I sent an email a while ago, but never heard back. I follow their facebook page, but I can only comment on their posts. It would be awesome if you could help me out somehow. I'm installing the blower this weekend..I understand now that I will need a tune and can't simply go back to what it had. I would really appreciate any help you can provide! Do you visit MI? If so, I'll owe you a steak dinner ;)

Once again, thank you for your help!

Eric

Nick (84Ttop),
I can never get a hold of anyone when I call. I sent an email a while ago, but never heard back. I follow their facebook page, but I can only comment on their posts. It would be awesome if you could help me out somehow. I'm installing the blower this weekend..I understand now that I will need a tune and can't simply go back to what it had. I would really appreciate any help you can provide! Do you visit MI? If so, I'll owe you a steak dinner ;)

Once again, thank you for your help!

Eric
Send me a pm with your contact info, (name, email and phone number) and I'll shoot them a message after I get off the beach this afternoon.