VT cams

• Sponsors (?)

VT Engine cams are a good upgrade. Yes, they can be used on the stock motor. However, I think you need to upgrade the valve springs with the Stage II cams. I'm not entirely sure though. Might want to ask them just be on the safe side.

As for the installation, if you don't know how to install cams, then yeah, the install is something you better not mess with. Installing cams isn't like installing spark plugs. You have to be sure to get the timing right when removing/installing cams or else you'll detonate the motor.

mustang70 said:
You need springs with the Stage 2's. I've also read that without some head work the stage 2's are overkill.

not necessarily overkill, but the stage 2's really shine with headwork. the power difference between the 1 & 2's aren't that much different without the headwork. & the cams are a VERY worth while mod :nice: i love my stage 1's

RedBullitt said:
lol, just wondering, how well would my stage 2s fare with a kenne bell?
I believe the Stage II cams are a n/a designed cam. The lobe seperation and timing of the cams valve opening/closing sequence is probably not going to fare to well with boost. As Stang|ess said above, VT engines makes some blower cams so if you have a blower, you might want to look into their cams designed to be used with boost. As for how much power you'll make with them, its going to vary but you should be very pleased with the results.

stangman said:
not necessarily overkill, but the stage 2's really shine with headwork. the power difference between the 1 & 2's aren't that much different without the headwork. & the cams are a VERY worth while mod :nice: i love my stage 1's
how much power do you get from the 1's you have??

Dark Knight GT said:
I'de say if you're going to use nitrous at all, go with a blower cam. The blower cam will add more power n/a, but will add great power while on the boost.

actually NO. do not get blower cams if you plan on running nitrous. you want your car to run the best it can n/a then put the cams in it. so get n/a cams if you plan on doing nitrous, unless of course you are planning to add boost before long then the blower cams will suffice for now. boost & nitrous are VERY different

No boost for me. I just want a strong N/A combo that I can add Juice to when I'm at the track. Of course I will be running 104 when at the track and on the juice. I have a 97 GT with PI heads and intake, 3.73's, steeda short throw shifter, BBK longtubes into BBK off road H pipe into flowmasters, BBK Throttle bod and CAI. I was told that my compression is 10.5-1 on the 97 with the headswap so this is why i'm not adding a blower or turbo. I plan to get the heads ported and install the VT stage 2's with springs and then either a 100 or 125 shot for track use. Does anyone see a problem with this setup?

Oh yea I will also be upgrading the fuel system before adding the juice. Would just upgrading the fuel pump suffice?

stangman said:
actually NO. do not get blower cams if you plan on running nitrous. you want your car to run the best it can n/a then put the cams in it. so get n/a cams if you plan on doing nitrous, unless of course you are planning to add boost before long then the blower cams will suffice for now. boost & nitrous are VERY different
Explain how you think that nitrous and boost such as superchargers and turbo's are going to be very different ? Both in the end accomplish the same goal. They give the added oxygen to the motor for increased power. Superchargers work by forcing air into the motor through the intake track where as nitrous adds oxygen by being sprayed into the motor and mixing with the current fuel/air mixture. Both require fuel upgrades and timing reductions as well to work properly. The only night and day difference is with nitrous, the nitrous that is released adds a cooling affect to the motor. They are not all that different.

EDIT: I see the difference I think you are trying to explain. Nitrous is a optional thing where as a supercharger is used constantly. Hence, a blower cam is designed for a car that has a continual supercharger running. This, I understand and therefore a radical blower cam probably wouldn't allow the car to run proper n/a. I suggested a blower cam for his setup because it would work well when the nitrous is on. I guess I should of also suggested to get a cam that will allow the car to work properly while n/a as well.