• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

want more from my 289

  • Thread starter Thread starter venom01
  • Start date Start date Feb 10, 2004

venom01

Founding Member
Oct 6, 2001
141
0
0
Helena Mt.
Feb 10, 2004
#1
  • Feb 10, 2004
  • #1
I'm seriously thinking about switching the stock heads on my 289. Problem is I don't have alot of money to spend. Will 302 heads bolt right up? Would there be any gains to be had from 302 heads? If not what choices might I have with out spending over $250? Thanks for all your replies.
 

347Fastback

Member
Nov 30, 2003
340
0
17
Central Coast
Feb 11, 2004
#2
  • Feb 11, 2004
  • #2
Change the camshaft!!!!
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Feb 11, 2004
#3
  • Feb 11, 2004
  • #3
For all intents and purposes, 302 heads are pretty much the same as 289 heads. Take yours, buy an air compressor,die grinder, some porting bits, and a port/polish kit, and get to work on the ones you now have. All that's really necessary is to clean up the intake ports, gasket match them, clean up the area under the valves. The exhaust sides need the same, except the ports need to be open up, blended into he bowls, focus on raising the roof and sides of the ports, the floor just needs smoothing and polishing. You should also polish the chambers and unshroud the intake valves somewhat.
 

rbohm

Founding Member
Apr 12, 2002
6,698
550
204
tucson,az
Feb 11, 2004
#4
  • Feb 11, 2004
  • #4
take D's advice. the 289 and 302 heads are essentially the same. you can pick up about 30hp by porting the heads. one thing though, dont polish the intake ports. you want a slightly rough finish to promote proper fuel mixing.
 

LMan

Founding Member
Aug 10, 2002
1,246
0
0
Mom's basement
Feb 11, 2004
#5
  • Feb 11, 2004
  • #5
REALLY need more info...what car, what trans, type of driving, what carb, intake, exhaust,,,,,,yada yada
 

SuperDave

Early-Model Mentor
Founding Member
May 3, 2000
6,361
0
0
Tacoma, WA USA
Feb 11, 2004
#6
  • Feb 11, 2004
  • #6
All of this assumes that you are working on a healthy engine to start. Throwing money and parts into it without analizing it firsr seems unwise. For example, if the engine is weak to start, camming it will achieve little. Check the compression, oil pressure, etc.
 
F

Fostang

Founding Member
May 8, 2002
1,400
0
36
Stockton, Ca
Feb 11, 2004
#7
  • Feb 11, 2004
  • #7
Just add Nawzzzzzz man.
 

venom01

Founding Member
Oct 6, 2001
141
0
0
Helena Mt.
Feb 11, 2004
#8
  • Feb 11, 2004
  • #8
O.K. sorry for the lack of info. Car is a 1965 mustang "c" code fastback. The engine has been rebuilt but it has been a couple of years. I didn't do it I just purchased the car from someone on ebay and am currently doing a complete restore. I just ordered $4000 in new parts from a couple of different mustang magazines. So I don't have alot of money to throw into the engine. But I sure would like to get some horsepower. I'm going to rebuild the engine anyway(so I know that it is done right, this idiot I bought the car from did,or should I say "tried", to do certain things but didn't have a clue what he was doing. I no longer trust his handiwork.) so I figured I would throw in a new cam and intake manifold while I was at it. But I know that heads make all the difference in the world. Problem is I don't know anything about whats interchangeable on Ford small blocks. Anyway the the car has stock 2:80 rearend(I'm assuming) and a 4 speed manual transmission. I'm not sure what the gear ratios are on the tranny. I've already ordered ceramic coated tri-y headers. The carb 4bbl 600. I hope this helps.
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Feb 11, 2004
#9
  • Feb 11, 2004
  • #9
If all you have to spend on heads or head work is $250, then save your money. You're not likely to get a set of heads that'll top what you now have for $150. I know that this is $100 short of your $250, but you will spend the $100 difference on gaskets, coolant, oil and filter, just swapping a set of heads.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
  • Poll Poll
Stroking a Mexico 289 or newer roller 302
  • MaryJaneTheMustang
  • Aug 12, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
107
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Aug 12, 2026
Bullitt347
Ford truck engine swap issues
  • keel
  • Jul 7, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
17
Views
517
Other Auto Tech Jul 13, 2026
General karthief
R
Microsquirt tune for stroked 351W in a foxbody
  • roldy
  • Jul 26, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
6
Views
239
Digital Self-tuning Forum Aug 11, 2026
roldy
R
F
289 to 302 Engine
  • Fri Guy
  • Feb 13, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
728
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Feb 13, 2025
Fri Guy
F
Strange timing issue
  • 92 Bimini Blue
  • Saturday at 7:26 PM
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
182
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sunday at 4:18 PM
General karthief
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?