Want to build a 408 stroker. My tranny has me worried

Old Blue

Jul 15, 2004
i have a 69 that i plan on dropping a 408w stroker into, however after reading a few threads here, i have learned that the T-5 tends to fall apart under the brute force. I planned on using a t-5, but i guess that idea is out the window. I currently have a T-10 4-speed bolted to my 302. if i get it a good rebuild will it handle the 408w? or will i need to go with something else. Suggestions anyone?

Old_Blue300.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

If you want overdrive, then go with a Tremec, or Richmond . If you want the ultimate in strength and don't want or need overdrive, the Toploader 4 speed is king. Even a small block Toploader will handle anything a 408 can dish out. As for the T-10, I can't promise you that it'll handle the torque of a 408, but it has been around for about 40 years in all kinds of cars and behind both small and big blocks, so that's something going for it. If you've got it, then use it.

screw gear vendors..

keep the stick, get a TKO and be done. The tranny will fit fine and they are proven to be good trannies. If you buy a new one, look into an X2C Motorsports TKO. They build them for about the same price as a regular one.