Want tone without drone

streethorse

15 Year Member
Oct 8, 2005
Dallas Texas
Im looking to add an axle back this weekend. Want mufflers not stingers.
I do a lot of highway cruising and cant stand the flowmaster type of drone.
I can pick up either the Bassani SS or the Mac SS axle back locally.
Can someone with one of these set ups comment on the highway drone factor. The Mac is cheaper and would be my first choice going by looks,
sound clips, and cost.

• Sponsors (?)

im going with the magnaflows because they are supposed to have no drone.
i like the sound of macs but there is a drone, youtube it and there should be some videos of it. you can put in resonators to dampen it but i have not heard how much that works out.

the Ford racing GTBs found on the bullitts have no drone either. they are cheaper than the magnas but they are both the same deep sound, only marginaly louder than stock, but the magnas really open up under throttle the GTB seem to be quieter there.

I heard the MACs have a lot of drone. Actually, I have a wholesale account with MAC, and when I called them to order the mufflers, my friend that works there cautioned me that they make a lot of drone. My '06 GT is a daily driver, so I can't handle that!

This morning I installed an off-road x-pipe and GT500 take-off mufflers on it, because I knew they would NOT drone. I'm VERY pleased with it, actually! The x-pipe adds a lot of sound (and performance), but the GT500s keep it from being obnoxious. Actually with the windows up and A/C on, I couldn't hear the exhaust over the stereo at about mid-volume. Tell ya what though, with the windows down at WOT, it sounds NICE!! :D

I'll post up video of it over the weekend, if I get it all edited. (I took before and after video of the exhaust, inside and outside of the car)

Thanks, cause I am really on the edge of just buying the Macs.
Ive heard the Borla touring axle back is like the only option for
good tone with no drone but they cost twice as much.
I just know Ill keep the stock system over drone.

What about the Bassani axle back, I just called Dallas mustang and the
sales rep I talked to says the Bassani doesnt drone, he has them on his car.
10% off Labor day sale. So Im about to pull the trigger on this deal.

i have muffler deletes. quiet at idle and loud at full. i drive on the high way every day and unless im going 80, i have no to almost no drone. i had a local exhaust shop make them for me. told them it was for drag use only and i had the stocks at my house ready to go on as soon as i got home. needless to say they never made it back on but its the thought that counts. anyway only cost me 140 for both and to swap with anything else would only take 10 minutes. before i got the pipes made i took my mufflers off and drove around for a couple days. i had drone then but i knew if i put the pipes on it would eliminate that. sure enough the pipes gave me a slightly deeper sound but it still sounds nice and ballsy

I have the bassani and I love them...but they do drone, like all of them do. Some people just don't want to hear their car drone. Mine drones from 1700-2000 rpms. I have the radion up loud anyway so I don't care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOJuLGI2wQ4

Just installed the Bassani's. Picked up from D Mustang at 9:30, had them on the car by 12:30. I couldnt tighten down the bands tight enough with
the tools I have so I went down to my favorite Muffler shop. They hit em with
an impact wrench, torqued them down, and positioned them in like 5 minutes.
Ateup....yours look like the stinger type, mine are the muffler type.
I notice no highway drone at all in overdrive. Maybe just a bit of drone at
1300 to 1400 rpm when running through the gears around town. But not
irratating at all like my former Flowmasters on my 99. :D:D:cool:

I know you said you didn't want the "stinger" type, but I have that (MBRP) and I love them. The only time I ever get drone is when the car is cold, go figure.

I do 80 miles round trip to work every day and I really have no discernable drone from these, even dead on 2000 RPM (I'm usually around 2100).