Wanting to upgrade to 8.8 or 9 rear end.

MusPuppis

Nov 8, 2004
Lexington, Ky.
I'm asking this on behalf of a friend of mine with a 67.

He's planning on doing some major engine work soon but before he upgrades the power he wants to upgrade the suspension and rear end. What he wants to know is, whats the easiest way to upgrade to an 8.8 or 9inch rear end? He has an 8inch right now and was told they arent that great when you put some power through them. Is there a car he could find in a junkyard that he could just grab the whole thing out of? I know T-bird Super Coupes from the later 80's have a nice rear end you can just bolt right in to a Fox body Mustang.. But I dont know much about the older cars. He's also wanting to know what all hes going to need to replace. We know we need the new rear end itself, the gears and internals and axles. What about brakes? Assuming the rear end assembly had drum brakes we wouldnt have any trouble if we simply hooked his lines up to those would we? I wouldnt think h'd need a new proportioning valve unless they were substantially larger or something.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Any information on exactly what we need to track down would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)