War on Trouble Codes! Few Questions:

AnthonyR23

Sep 8, 2006
Ontario
So am back at the war on trouble codes:

When checking your engine running codes do you first heat your vehicle up to operating temp, then check the codes? If you don't heat up the car first is it normal to see an ECT Code 21? And possibly 92 System Running Rich. Because isn't the car supposed to run rich until it gets up to temp, or do I have that backwards. What does the ECT do again to help bring the engine up to temp?

Thanks

One other quick question, had either some bad gas or a slight amount of water in the tank, it was low luckily so filled it up and ran some gas line antifreeze. As a sign that this is working, any idea what color smoke I would see. I have slight backfire issue and black smoke, too rich coming out my exhaust. But keeping in mind I still have only about 15 k on this new engine. Still working it out. But just really interested in the above two codes and whether I should be checking engine running codes with the engine up to temp first. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Here is a video of the car today. Obviously running rich. I'm either choking it for air, or maybe the maf is off a bit, so I am thinking I may turn down the fuel pressure till I clear the rich code, by about 1 psi at a time. Anyways here's the vid. Black smoke and backfire!! But still like the way it sounds, and I'm excited it's at least running again! YAY!

Yes, not warming the car up can generate an ECT code. The ECT tells the EEC what your coolant temps are. The puter tweaks the A/F to get the car into the target temp range.

I would switch the O2's, clear the codes and see if the code follows the O2.

I already verified that my o2's are working, they range from .1 to .9 quickly off the car with a propane torch. So seem to be working just fine, had 2 other's on before, that didn't respond the same way. So put the two that varied on. So I ordered a new IAC motor which should probably get rid of codes 12 and 13. I was getting code 92, so adjusted the fuel pressure down, then codes seemed to change to 24 and 11 but didn't seem to run as well. Weird.

The difference in a bench test and a dynamic test is that the dynamic takes into account the vehicle wiring and the turbulence the sensor itself is experiencing while driving. Because you only threw a code for one side (if I read you correctly), I would still swap the O2's to see if the code follows the particular O2.

Playing with FP is going to confuse the EEC. It tries to remain stoich if it is able. If a code is thrown, it's because there's an issue or it's getting bad feedback.

Hey, so I did try swapping the o2's from side to side but still getting the same code. I noticed that there was some variation in fuel pressure, just using fuel pressure test kit. I had it set to 39, but then when I rechecked it was down to 36 ish. This is using the tweezers on the fuel pump test circuit, and using a fuel pressure tester kit, I try to keep the hose as straight as possible because if it is bent at all it can affect the gauges output. So it seemed a little high at first at about 42 ish, that's when I was getting those codes, then turned it down to about 39, but then when I rechecked it it was actually 36 ish, so I rechecked it and tried to get it back to 39. Inbetween codes changed from what I posted to 24 and 11. Weird. So I am going to pull and plug the vacuum hose from the adjustable regulator tomorrow and once again verify that I am getting 39 psi.

Quick question. I think I could be choking my 347 slightly and could this possibly cause the rich condition. Just converted to mass air with this new engine. The trick flow intake has a 75mm opening but I am still using the older 65mm throttle body, cheap cold air kit and 70mm mass air meter supposedly cal. for 30lb injectors which I have. I really think I should step up my tb and egr spacer to 75mm, replace my iac motor, and run a larger tube from the tb to the mass air meter, and also I should probably get a larger maf meter. I just have a feeling I could be getting this to rich code for a reason, more mechanical. Like choking air intake system. Or do you guys think the 65mm tb on the 75mm trick flow intake, cold air intake, and 70mm mass air meter should be choking my combo?

347, Trick Flow Heads and Intake, Crane Powermax 2030 Cam, 1.6 roller rockers, bbk equal length headers, catted x, 2.5 inch borla catback. 30lb injectors, fuel rails with regulator, 190lph fuel pump with new fuel filter. New vacuum lines with good vacuum reading. O2's are good, new catalytic converters.

Just think TB/EGR Spacer, and MAF seem suspect.

The EEC should dial injector PW back down however much it needs to (otherwise, when the TB was barely open, the car would run rich all the time). Add to that this is only happens on one bank (fuel or air issues are generally systemic, not unilateral) and I'd want to be sure that O2 signal output is appropriate. The wiring could be burned, etc.